• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibration and Tire Wear Problem

jbh1860

NAXJA Forum User
I have a completely stock '98 Sport 4x4 with 67k miles. I'm running Goodyear Wrangler G-SA 225/75/15. For the past 10K miles or so I have had a vibration comming from what feels like the right front. It feels very much like a tire out of balance and is most noticible from 55-65 mph. It disappears above 65 mph. I have had the wheels balanced twice, at two different shops with no improvement. I've also had two front end alignments as the steering wheel has had a very slight pull to the right. Both shops said the front end was not out of alignment. Now, I've noticed the tires on the right side wearing evenly, but have less tread than the left side. Does anyone have any ideas on any components I could check? Both shops I've been to say everthing looks good but the vibration remains. Thanks in advance for any help!

This may sound stupid but have you tried swapping front wheels to see if anything changes? Some say not to do this with radials when changing the direction that they rotate in but I have never had a negative effect yet.

I just did that on mine to verify that I really was looking at a bad front left hub (98 also with 69K on the clock so I didn't think the hub could be gone so soon, though that's what it felt like) and everything seems a bunch smoother now....I will see after a few days if the improvement is for real.

did you buy the vehicle new? or from someone?

There are several things that could cause uneven tire wear.

Bad wheel bearing, bad shock, bad tierod end, bad balljoint, bent axle housing, bent unibody, and on and on...
I have seen several vehicals that have been totaled and repaired that wear tires uneven even after they have been "fixed", and are aligned to specs. I am not trying to alarm you, but there are alot of things that can cause this.

thats what im thinking, that the vehicle is simply not straight .. or even the body ...(box) twisted.....here in Canada, every second used car is like that, but,buying one from the dealer, you have 99% chance its "straight", if not you can always sue them:p

Purple said:
thats what im thinking, that the vehicle is simply not straight .. or even the body ...(box) twisted.....here in Canada, every second used car is like that, but,buying one from the dealer, you have 99% chance its "straight", if not you can always sue them:p

Here you cant sue if the car has a clean title, and you cant prove that it has been fixed. If it has been wrecked in excess of 25% of the value of the car then it should have a salvage title. If the person fixes the car with out insurrance company involvement then they can usually get around the salvage title. That does happen, and you end up with a car that has been totaled and has a clean title.
But, I would guess this guys problem is much less sever than what we are talking about. Most likely something easy to fix.

Thanks for the replys. I bought the vehicle new. It's never been in an accident. The tire wear only started when the vibration did...around 10K miles ago. Thanks.

Back