• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project: Overkill

gump

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, let me start by saying this is a project in planning only at this point and I'm looking for input....

The goal, full width axles, and either a small block or a 4.3 (not 3.4). The axles I won't get into as it's all over on this board, for which I am thankful. What I want to focus on is the engine/tranny/t-case combo. I am considering, as mentioned above, either a 4.3 or a small block, mated to a two wheel drive th350 tranny, with a divorced t-case. Why 2wd? Availability. Up here, 4x4 Chevy stuff seems to be in higher demand, due to the long winters I assume, and I have a 2wd tranny sitting in my basement. What I am wondering is, does anybody think this is even feasable, or do you think the t-case will be way too far rearward? Secondly, do you think a Samurai divorced case would hold up to either of those engines? Those who want, flame away, but I'm also looking for solid advice so a little of that would be cool too.

I don't remember any sami coming with a v6 or v8 stock. Point is I wouldn't think of using a t-case from one. Atlas is the only t-case to change out for.

if it was me i would use steer away from a sami case not strong enough. use a divorced np case from a ford from like the 70's is the case different from 4x4 to 2wd on the turbo 350? if the case is the same then get the rear output shaft from the 4wd case and an adapter and be done with it. the reason i say this is because i believe the 700r4 cases are the same 2wd and 4wd

The C (2 wheel drive) and K (four wheel drive) trans are diffrent as far as strength goes the K trans is soppoused to be stronger

gump said:
Okay, let me start by saying this is a project in planning only at this point and I'm looking for input....

The goal, full width axles, and either a small block or a 4.3 (not 3.4). The axles I won't get into as it's all over on this board, for which I am thankful. What I want to focus on is the engine/tranny/t-case combo. I am considering, as mentioned above, either a 4.3 or a small block, mated to a two wheel drive th350 tranny, with a divorced t-case. Why 2wd? Availability. Up here, 4x4 Chevy stuff seems to be in higher demand, due to the long winters I assume, and I have a 2wd tranny sitting in my basement. What I am wondering is, does anybody think this is even feasable, or do you think the t-case will be way too far rearward? Secondly, do you think a Samurai divorced case would hold up to either of those engines? Those who want, flame away, but I'm also looking for solid advice so a little of that would be cool too.
This has been discussed.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49297

The search button is your friend. :)

r@m

4.3, 700R4, 231 would be my choice. IMO the divoreced Tcase is not a good idea. Tough to mount, going to hang in the weeds, giving up rear driveline length is always a bad idea even though there is plenty on an XJ

Back