• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speakers

Andrew T

NAXJA Forum User
I'm buying new speakers and head unit today.

(2001 XJ Sport 4-door)

The sound bar and front doors both have 5.25" speakers, correct? Will any bigger sizes fit without cutting anything? I don't mind drilling new holes, but don't want to cut anything while I'm installing it tonight.

Also, Wal-Mart has the head unit install kit. It's $10 compared to what seems like the same thing at "nicer" places for ~$25. Opinions on that?

Thank in advance everyone...

BTW-

I'm adding a sub in the back, so really I'm more worried about the high end (I guess - am I right?)

I just want this to sound good.

Go here ----> Crutchfield

You can put in your year, make, & model and it will tell you what fits. My '98 lists the fronts as being 6.5"...

Is that Wally-World kit a universal one? If it is, plan on putting it together like a bunch of Legos. I ordered an install kit from Crutchfield for mine, and it makes my Sony look like factory.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I looked on here, but it doesn't give very detailed information.

ie: do the 6.5" speakers fit in the front without and modifications? etc...

I'll probably just go 5.25" all around since I'm adding the sub. I just don't know a lot about sound setups and what different things do.

side note: Should I add bass blockers anywhere? (again, please excuse my ignorance)

I just put in some Infinity 6 1/2" (6002i model or something like that) in my 2000 Classic. They sound pretty good but the grill on the door panel bulges a bit from the tweeter. There's just a little bit of rattle from the passenger side, can't tell where it's coming from. Didn't have to do any drilling or trimming and I didn't use the spacers that came in the box.

Andrew T said:
ie: do the 6.5" speakers fit in the front without and modifications? etc...

They should...but that would depend on what speakers you have.

Andrew T said:
side note: Should I add bass blockers anywhere? (again, please excuse my ignorance)

:dunno: My expertise is limited to replacement only. :laugh3:

I'm inclined to say don't worry about it unless you have a problem.

prb24 said:
They should...but that would depend on what speakers you have.

:dunno: My expertise is limited to replacement only. :laugh3:

I'm inclined to say don't worry about it unless you have a problem.

I should have mentioned that the original speakers were the 5 1/4".

Yeah, I don't fix stuff unless I have a problem but I blew my right front stock speaker after buying a new stereo.

After going through the same situation, and trying various brands and sizes. The Infinity 6002i is the best fit. Purchased mine through a vendor on ebay,(approx $40) Had them in 3 days, they sound great. I did bypass the factory tweeters and ran new spkr. wires from the amp to each door. Best of luck- Ken

I have a 2001 4 door XJ. What I did was cheap AND sounds good. I bought a pioneer head unit from Walmart, got an installation kit from a local audio shop, kept the factory speakers powered by the head unit, bought a Pheonix Gold 2 channel amp off ebay for dirt cheap (check ebay user 'baystereo')he has great deals and I never had any problems. Also I bought one MB Quart 10 inch sub from him and built my own sealed box for it and ran just the sub off the amp. The head unit has a seperate control for the amp, so you don't need to get bass blockers for the 5.25s cause you can control them with the head unit seperate from the sub. If you want pics just pm me your email address. Surprising how much thump a 10 inche sub will do in an XJ.

Oh yeah, about the 5.25s, just buy whatever you can afford.

prb24 said:
Go here ----> Crutchfield

You can put in your year, make, & model and it will tell you what fits. My '98 lists the fronts as being 6.5"....

It's iffy. The stock size for the front door is 5.25- same as the rear. If you take out all the speakers and compare, you can see that they are all the same size. Some 6.25s will fit (Infinitys as mentioned) but some will not without trimming (basket on the speaker is to large). Some 5.25 even have trouble fitting because the mounting tabs are to short.

In reference to the mounting adapter here is my favorite.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOCJ1278B

I would try to stay with the 6.5 infinties or stay with 5.25 for the front doors. The surrounds on the speaker can end up hitting the door panel with the larger speaker.

dothedew24_7 said:
It's iffy. The stock size for the front door is 5.25- same as the rear. If you take out all the speakers and compare, you can see that they are all the same size. Some 6.25s will fit (Infinitys as mentioned) but some will not without trimming (basket on the speaker is to large). Some 5.25 even have trouble fitting because the mounting tabs are to short.

I would try to stay with the 6.5 infinties or stay with 5.25 for the front doors. The surrounds on the speaker can end up hitting the door panel with the larger speaker.

Thanks...I'll keep that in mind when I replace mine.

I am casually looking to replace my stock tape deck only head unit to something that plays CD's and Mp3's. Looks like this will fit my needs: http://www.cardomain.com/sku/PIODEHP4700MP
The mention of the kit below is confusing versus the one offered by cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~b~Scosche~t~Car+Stereo+Installation+Kits
Other than the price difference, are the two different in just looks or just better fitment in general?

dothedew24_7 said:

rumblebelly said:
I just put in some Infinity 6 1/2" (6002i model or something like that) in my 2000 Classic. They sound pretty good but the grill on the door panel bulges a bit from the tweeter. There's just a little bit of rattle from the passenger side, can't tell where it's coming from. Didn't have to do any drilling or trimming and I didn't use the spacers that came in the box.

I put the infinity 5002's in my '90. Sounds great. Get a bit of vibration from the rears as theyr'e in the hatch, but that's kinda to be expected. Fronts sound flawless with good range and bass. I'm totally happy with them. Presently running them with a panasonic with mp3/wma player with no amp. I'd totally recommend them.

dogtired said:
I am casually looking to replace my stock tape deck only head unit to something that plays CD's and Mp3's. Looks like this will fit my needs: http://www.cardomain.com/sku/PIODEHP4700MP
The mention of the kit below is confusing versus the one offered by cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~b~Scosche~t~Car+Stereo+Installation+Kits
Other than the price difference, are the two different in just looks or just better fitment in general?
They mount the same. The big difference I like is the cubby hole thing- I dont use it, but stick a piece of foam tape on top of it and it prevents the cd player from shaking by giving the deck more support.

I recently changed out my front speakers, and the factory speakers were
6 1/2". No modification at all, and I dont have the 'primo' sound system, which I hear isnt all that great either. I put in a set of Kenwoods (2-way) and the sound difference is great!
I already had a Pioneer head unit installed, which was really easy to do also. All the room in the world back there compared to other cars. My rear speakers are in the roof facing down and forward, not in the hatch, but they are noticeably larger than the fronts. Now I have to change the rears also, as the sound quality between the aftermarket fronts and factory rears is definitely noticeable. The front speaker wires were bad also, I might add. I had to install a new run for each side. I have an '01 and am already having problems with 'wires'. Not good! I give ChryCo. a definite "F" on the quality of the wiring!

Oh ok, that makes sense now, thanks. I noticed that part of the picture when I was comparing the other one, but was unsure what that was. Wish they had a bigger picture. Looks like it can hold a few CD's without their cases though, or maybe one CD with it's case. Looks more professional looking since it does away the extra plastic that surrounds the replacement deck.

Well duh, I just noticed at the bottom of the page... the reviewer's comment too, guess I was too tired to read this part last night: "The side brackets fit perfects and the storage tray is great for its intended purpose of a CD, as well as papers and other items. I recommend this item over the kit without the CD Tray, as this makes the plastic to close the 1 1/2 DIN gap less."

:viking:

dothedew24_7 said:
They mount the same. The big difference I like is the cubby hole thing- I dont use it, but stick a piece of foam tape on top of it and it prevents the cd player from shaking by giving the deck more support.

Last edited:
BCKNBLK said:
The front speaker wires were bad also, I might add. I had to install a new run for each side. I have an '01 and am already having problems with 'wires'. Not good! I give ChryCo. a definite "F" on the quality of the wiring!

Same here on my 00 Classic. Like an idiot, I assumed the stock stereo was bad since BOTH front speakers were out when I bought it a 3 months ago. I figured the fader toggle was bad or something. So...I swapped the stereo out for a Pioneer and the speakers still didn't work. Turned out to just be the wiring of course. I think the Pioneer does sound clearer than the stock stereo (that's what I keep telling myself LOL).

If you install new speakers consider putting in new wring for the front ones, especially if you have a later model.

Back