• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulling d-44 carrier

R

rangerjoe2001

how hard should it be to pull the carrier? any tricks to do it?

i pulled the cover.. pulled the shafts.. took off the bearing caps...

then pulled. pryed. cursed... drank more liquid confidence.. pulled pulled...

gave up and installed the aussie on my buddies dana 30.. which was much easier to get out.

IntrepidXJ said:
i had a hell of a time getting my d44 carrier out. tried to pry, tried the wrench on the ring gear bolt, and it wouldn't budge. what finally did it for me was a come-a-long from the carrier to the hitch. popped it right out.

ahh why didnt i think of that

how did ya get er back in?

Best way I have found to do it is use a short chain and a hi-lift. Put the chain around the carrier and put the base of the jack on the housing and crank away. Very easy to do... Judd

IntrepidXJ said:
i had a hell of a time getting my d44 carrier out. tried to pry, tried the wrench on the ring gear bolt, and it wouldn't budge. what finally did it for me was a come-a-long from the carrier to the hitch. popped it right out.

worked for me, but used rope and a breaker bar and twisted it until it pulled out. same concept.

Jeepin Jason said:
so why is it that some carriers are in tight, and others aren't?
good question..

my buddies dana 30 poped out with just some force from my hands

Yikes! Come-a-longs and chains? You guys are scary. The wrench trick will usually do it, if not stuff a rag between the pinion and ring gears and turn the yoke, should dislodge. Be sure to leave the carrier bolts on a few threads so you harm the parts or yourself. TC

arb-20.jpg

what exactly is the wrench trick?

I used a housing spreader and ran a rag between the pinion and ring gear to pop the carrier out of my 44.

Wrench trick; leave a box end wrench on one of the ring gear bolts and rotate the pinion (yoke). Make sure it's seated squarely on the bolt so it doesn't pop off.

Depending how you go about it... especially since it's snug, that rascal may pop out of there with some energy.

Wear gloves, and even then beware of sharps and pinches. Prepare a soft landing zone for it "just in case" it gets fumbled. Watch those toes.

Also if it's snug coming out, it'll be snug going back in... 4 bolts, 3/4" longer than the cap bolts will be your best friend.

Last edited:
When I did mine I about went out of my mind trying to get it out. The rag trick didn't do anything except tear holes in couple of rags. The wrench on the ring gear bolt didn't work either. In the end a long breaker bar, lots of patience, and some language that I won't repeat here! That finally did it, but boy was it tight.

For whatever reason my Dana 30 wasn't a problem at all.

Robert

Back