• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend work pics. *34" LTBs are on*

Timmay

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy from Philly (Colin) was expected to come over at 1pm to get started on setting up his 8.8 for his ZJ. In the meantime I installed my YJ front lines to give me some extra droop room.

Comparison Pic... about 3" longer than the stock line.
CIMG1153.jpg

Old line, relocated down farther.
CIMG1155.jpg

New line, also in the relocated spot.
CIMG1157.jpg

Semi Closeup.
CIMG1158.jpg

Here's what I was waiting for. Colin brought me his 34" LTBs to use until his ZJ was trail ready in exchange for welding all his mounts on the 8.8.

CIMG1168.jpg

CIMG1169.jpg

CIMG1170.jpg

CIMG1171.jpg

CIMG1173.jpg

CIMG1174.jpg

Me and Deke with Colin parked in the driveway ready to get started on the 8.8.

CIMG1172.jpg

Workin through the rainy night...

CIMG1175.jpg

This is where I got to tonight. I pulled the shafts and backing plates to make sure I can get the MIG gun in there to get a nice weld.

CIMG1179.jpg

The fairly ghetto coil pads. The 1/2" plate is just to support the coil so it sits even. The 3x3 tube centers the coil and the small peice of 3/4" tube is the retainer.

CIMG1182.jpg

CIMG1184.jpg

CIMG1185.jpg

That's all the pics I took. I figured i'd post an update on our progress. Colin is thinking by later May he will be ready to wheel. Throughout this week we will be tacking various pieces onto the axle and i'm going to sandblast and finish weld it at school. Should turn out real well. :wave:

Looks good! I am planning on doing the 8.8 (d44 if I can find one) Do you have to shorten/lengthen the driveshaft? Also, what is the flange at the pinion for and do you need an adapter to go the driveshaft? Were the gears easy to set up? My d35 was a PITA.
Ben

I'm pretty sure the 8.8 pinion is longer than the D35, so it will push the stock shaft back in the tcase. You may need/want to shorten it. You need a flange adaptoror the pinion, I believe M.O.R.E. has it. The gears in the 8.8 are supposedly really easy to set up, although due to lack of time he had a shop set these up. Search here for 8.8 swap and I think you will uncover a wealth of info.

I'm pretty sure they are 15x7s with 4.0" BS. I'll have to ask Colin next time I talk to him. I'll let you know. I like the way they sit right now though. Perfect to add stock flares to.

Timmay said:
I'm pretty sure they are 15x7s with 4.0" BS. I'll have to ask Colin next time I talk to him. I'll let you know. I like the way they sit right now though. Perfect to add stock flares to.
I like the way they look. Just perfect.

Timmay said:

the reason for thoes little plastic things on the brake lines is to protect the line from getting worn on by the shock

yours obivously arent doing their job...

i cut the pad off the XJ lines and used zip ties to hold it to the YJ line when i did the swap:
4t6d5i

now my shocks are missing paint where the lines rub, but they ar rubbing on the pad - not the line its self - so im happy

YMMV

XJ_ranger said:
the reason for thoes little plastic things on the brake lines is to protect the line from getting worn on by the shock

yours obivously arent doing their job...

i cut the pad off the XJ lines and used zip ties to hold it to the YJ line when i did the swap:
4t6d5i

now my shocks are missing paint where the lines rub, but they ar rubbing on the pad - not the line its self - so im happy

YMMV

Awesome tip. I'll definatly do that. Thanks a bunch. :wave:

Got the coil pads welded on the 8.8 at school today.

Ready to go with the Millermatic.

CIMG1208.jpg

Welding welding welding.

CIMG1210.jpg

End result. Some random slag stuck to the mild steel. It should just chip off.

CIMG1216.jpg

CIMG1217.jpg

Wednesday we should be able to get started tacking on the UCA mounts and possibly the LCAs as well.

Nice work... your neighbors don't mind the Jeep wrenching activity? I had enough problems in Deptford and I know Marlton is more high-brow. Now, out here in Missouri, my neighbors could give 2 chits what I'm working on.

haha, my neighbors are pretty cool with it. They have come over many times for me to weld something or to discuss what i've done to the jeep, etc. There's a guy across the street with two dirtbikes and every weekend he's tuning and riding them, I think that's a bit more annoying.

You're very lucky then. Several of my current neighbors are in construction trades and they used to get complaints from the neighbors where they used to live about having business names on their trucks. I had the township code enforcement official anonymously called on several occasions back in Jersey. F-'em. I moved, and have a bigger brand new house with a bigger garage on more land and I pay less taxes and insurance.

Timmay said:
Awesome tip. I'll definatly do that. Thanks a bunch. :wave:

if your worried about it, you can also take a peice of heater hose, slice it length wise, place it over the brake line and throw some zip ties around it.. just keep an eye on it if its rubbing thru...

Timmay said:
haha, my neighbors are pretty cool with it. They have come over many times for me to weld something or to discuss what i've done to the jeep, etc. There's a guy across the street with two dirtbikes and every weekend he's tuning and riding them, I think that's a bit more annoying.[/QUOTE
man I wish I could weld like that,.......damn fine job,I should be just as good after I get myself mig certified(I hope).I've got cool neighbors too.It's amazing how much attention really bright light and high heat will draw!!

Ludakris said:
if your worried about it, you can also take a peice of heater hose, slice it length wise, place it over the brake line and throw some zip ties around it.. just keep an eye on it if its rubbing thru...
Yea i'll do something with it sometime this week. Probably going to end up using the old hose piece.
jeepdeepfreak said:
Timmay said:
haha, my neighbors are pretty cool with it. They have come over many times for me to weld something or to discuss what i've done to the jeep, etc. There's a guy across the street with two dirtbikes and every weekend he's tuning and riding them, I think that's a bit more annoying.[/QUOTE
man I wish I could weld like that,.......damn fine job,I should be just as good after I get myself mig certified(I hope).I've got cool neighbors too.It's amazing how much attention really bright light and high heat will draw!!
I'm just a High School senior with lots of time to practice. My first major investment in life was my welder. Certainly payed for itself after 2 years. In the next 4 years i'll be at Penn College of Technology for a Bachelors in Welding and Fabrication Engineering Technology. Should be a fun time for me.

Back