• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Had to use the snorkel yesterday!

CamoXJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Well, didnt have to but did anyways. Was going turkey hunting and it has been raining around here for 2 days straight pretty hard. The place I go has a creek running the full lenght of the roads which is usaually 10' wide. Yesterday morning after it quit raining they were around 20-50 yards in some places. About 3-4' higher than normal. So the first section the water was over the road for about 50 yards but only 2', that was easy. Wasnt really flowing just sitting there. The second one as soon as I seen it I actually thought about it twice and then said what the hell. The road was about 3' under and running but only about 20 yards wide. There was an embankment on the one side so I felt if needed I could use it. I so rolled up the windows and put it in 4high. I tried to stay in the center of the road but the current pushed me into the bank and I forgot there was a ditch there. So now my left side is about 4.5-5' under and water is flowing over the hood at this point and I can see water about half way up my window. Kept it going and finally up out of the water and out of the ditch. Only got about 4" of my side in the floorboard and 1" on the other side. She did pretty good and the snorkel definatly saved the day and a morning of turkey hunting (which I didnt get one). But it was fun but sorry to say no pics or video, wish I could have seen it from land or video.
Here's the first portion of the road
Picture5001.jpg

Here's a section when I first got there and the second pic of it a few hours later
Picture5002.jpg

Picture5005.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
It's good to hear they work for people that actually need them...is it a home-built or an ARB unit?

Good luck on the gobbler next time you go out.

CamoXJeep said:
I tried to stay in the center of the road but the current pushed me into the bank and I forgot there was a ditch there. So now my left side is about 4.5-5' under and water is flowing over the hood at this point and I can see water about half way up my window.

*Shudder* that reminded me of a past bad experience with moving water. As you found out, one of the more dangerous things with moving water is that it can push or pick you up depending on the speed of the current even if it isn't all that high. Once the wheels aren't on the bottom, you're pretty much at the mercy of the flow. Good to see that the snorkel worked and you're in one piece, though.

Recent event near our cabin in northern MN. Neighbor was out for an ATV ride. Going up the State Line Rd. there is a flow over bridge, basically a big slab of concrete w/ three 5-6 ft. culverts for when the water is normal. There was about a 1 1/2 ft. of water over the bridge. He rode out on to the bridge, and it started pushing him across the concrete. Back up, you think. No, he got spooked, and hopped off the machine. Needless to say, at that point, the ATV was gone. He ended up a few feet from shore hanging onto some trees that he could have used to get back to shore, but was too scared to move. He saw the machine bounce a few times and then disappear. They found the ATV three weeks later, about 700 yards downstream. Well rounded, I might add.

Seen the same thing in Az one day, we crossed a creek with about 3.5' running water but there was one spot that was only 2" but running faster and he seen us cross the deeper so he tried the 2' section and his ATV started to float. He fell off and they both went down but he was able to get to his feet and hold on to it and got it back on shore about 50 yards down. He didnt realize that the shallower and narrower it is the faster the water is moving.

I only crossed the road because the bank was there and that was the direction the water was pushing. If there would have been another drop off I wouldnt have done it. Thats one thing I learned in Az, stay out of fast moving washes. Too many people try that down there and get washed down. Jeff

Back