• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 bang!!

mack

NAXJA Forum User
i did a search and didn't find anything, so, i need a little help, i went wheelin today and when in 4wd i get a loud bang from the left front, mostly when turning, and now it sounds like i have a lock-rite in the front, but i don't :laugh3:, it's an open diff, the axle joints are only a few months old, i had someone do the inner seals, but i wheeled it after that with on noise, so any help you guy's can dish out will help me out alot!!
thanks.

if it was the balljoints, wouldn't it do it all the time? it only does it in 4wd, yeah, the u-joints are new.
witt said:
ball joints?

well, the u-joints looked ok, what's the best way to check them? if they were bad would it make noise all the time?

thanks

ChuckD said:
Like new after you went wheeling or new before you went wheeling. Check your junk! :rolleyes:

mack said:
well, the u-joints looked ok, what's the best way to check them? if they were bad would it make noise all the time?

thanks

Well if the ujoint has all the caps on it and it looks not broken it should be fine. What about the axle shaft though? If that snapped could it be making more noise when turning and less when driving straight?

Try this before you start tearing into things:
raise your front end and put the axle on some sort of support or jackstands and turn the wheel by hand: does it bind? turn your steering and turn the wheel by hand again: does it feel different? Do the same to the opposite side for comparison.

Is it a disconnect axle or non-disconnect? If disconnect, you may have broken the collar that engages the passenger side axle, which would explain the ratcheting that occurs in 4wd. I've never seen anyone do it, but it's possible?

It could also be an axle shaft on either model... if it's a non-disconnect, you'll be able to tell by jacking the front end up and spinning one wheel (make sure transfer case is in 2hi or neutral). If the other side spins the opposite direction, then your axle shafts are intact... if it doesn't, then you broke something. This won't work on a disconnect model.

i'll have to try that in the AM, can a shaft be broke but still work because the shaft was still turning the wheel, i finshed out the day with it doing that, could it be jumping the spline's somehow? the drive side is the side with the power right?

it's a 92 with abs non-disco.
NotMatt said:
Is it a disconnect axle or non-disconnect? If disconnect, you may have broken the collar that engages the passenger side axle, which would explain the ratcheting that occurs in 4wd. I've never seen anyone do it, but it's possible?

It could also be an axle shaft on either model... if it's a non-disconnect, you'll be able to tell by jacking the front end up and spinning one wheel (make sure transfer case is in 2hi or neutral). If the other side spins the opposite direction, then your axle shafts are intact... if it doesn't, then you broke something. This won't work on a disconnect model.

could it be a bad hub?

it "sounds" like it only comes from the driver side...:dunno:
FUNKYTEE5 said:
Spider gears?

I had the exact same problem. I swore up and down that it was coming from the front end, but I could never find anything wrong. It turns out that the chain in the transfer case (NP231) was worn out and slipping under torque in 4WD. I changed it when I installed my SYE and no more bang.

----------------------------
90 2dr
6" RC + Teraflex LA + Tera Prototype 6" upper arms
33" MTR, Currie steering, Tera trac bar and lots more.

can i get a HD chain?
doodahman said:
I had the exact same problem. I swore up and down that it was coming from the front end, but I could never find anything wrong. It turns out that the chain in the transfer case (NP231) was worn out and slipping under torque in 4WD. I changed it when I installed my SYE and no more bang.

----------------------------
90 2dr
6" RC + Teraflex LA + Tera Prototype 6" upper arms
33" MTR, Currie steering, Tera trac bar and lots more.

mack said:
can i get a HD chain?
Yes but you will also have to purchase a new front output shaft and a new drive gear.

when i spin the front wheel and watch the shaft, after a few turns of the shaft, it stops for a sec and clunks and starts to spin again, can it be bad gears? it does have a little play in the hub.

mack said:
when i spin the front wheel and watch the shaft, after a few turns of the shaft, it stops for a sec and clunks and starts to spin again

So as you have your hand on the wheel and you're turning the shaft stops spinning for a second and then it starts turning again? Do you feel any resistance on the tire?
Anyways I think it's time you pulled the cover and drained fluid and pulled the shaft and examined everything closely.

I ran across this doing mechanic work for car lots a few years ago. If you want a t-case upgrade for the 231J that's in the Jeeps, use a 231D from a 94-up Dodge 1/2 ton truck, but only if you do a SYE. The 231D is for V8 power with a decent load capaicty and a much heavier vehicle. The chain is about 25% wider, along with a couple of shafts are bigger to match. You need the SYE because the tailshaft is about twice as long as the stock Jeep unit.

Back