• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help! need towpoints asap!

XJMK

aka boredchimp
Ok, so some bad planning on my part has let me to scramble for towpoints. I can get tow hooks, but whats the best way to mount them and where and what do I need to cut? I have a 98 xj with 3inch rustys lift with 31s and thats it. I don't want to drill too much into my unibody, but i'll do what i have to do. links or pics would help a ton too. thanks

You need the proper brackets. DO NOT mount the hooks directly to the unibody. Search, n00b, this is nothing new.

:confused1 LOL! I saw the thread title an got a mental image of some kid stuck to the axles in Mom's jeep browsing NAXJA on his cell phone!

that is not a bad deal at all. you could instead get a good bumper like rigid or c-rok or rocklizard or whatever, that ties into those tow points and increases clearence. that'll run you a bit more heheh. i have the rigid, and i bought a mopar reciever hitch for a rear towpoint for now. when i have a bit more moola, i will go for terry's rear bumper assy too. don't buy the tomken hooks, if you did do a search you would probably find some posts on broken ones.

Jeepin Jason said:
yep, gotta have brackets to mount the hooks.

boredchimp,

E-mail this guy right here. Helped me out big time in a similar situation in a rush.

Excellent product, excellent service, excellent communication.

Thanks for all the encouraging words.
Sorry I only had approx 5 min of spare time all day and didn't have time to search.
I know I need brackets, I have front and rear bumpers on order. (I was told one week leadtime, but it turns out to be 3 weeks) I am going wheeling this sunday and now I am behind.

If you took the time to post something, the LEAST you could've done is posted some help.

Thanks to those who did. A+

boredchimp said:
If you took the time to post something, the LEAST you could've done is posted some help.
Thanks to those who did. A+

this guys onto something, instead of rockrash we should just give letter grades :kissyou:

don't be too spoiled there chimp, the LEAST they did was inform you of what you didn't know, which probably saved you some tow hook/unibody grenading :rattle:

Lawn Cher' said:
Search, n00b, this is nothing new.

This just rubbed me the wrong way, I took it as a degrading order rather than just an irritated response that I should have ignored. Anyways, I think I got it figued out. I'm picking up a reciever installation thingy (its got theads/nuts on a strip of metal and it goes inside the unibody and matches up with the holes already here) for the rear and I'm not too sure on the front. (it involves the sway bar mounting bolts)

Its late so if this doesn't make sense, I don't care.

whatever

Go to your local salvage yard and look at the front of the jeeps. Look for tow hooks directly under the front bumper. The bracket they are bolted to. You want that. Most yards don't inventory them, so they are usually fairly cheap. Great place to scavenge for cheap skids. Pull a parts are usually the better location to find what you need. You will have to pull the bumper off to get to the bracket. But this is what you need if you want it done correctly without an aftermarket bumper.

*grabs tow hooks, Looks around to see if anyone is watching, spits on tow hooks, presses tow hooks against frame, makes sticky sound, looks around again* That should hold. I'll check the junk yard on 41 & Washington so see if they have any. Last time I went there they had a few skids. Dont know about the hooks tho. Peace.

boredchimp said:

Ok... here's some help... since you did NOT ask (in the title) hook mounting advice, but instead for help in identifying towpoints. DO NOT USE THE DOOR HANDLES!!!!!!!!! this is why the TITLE of your thread caught me as funny. As for hooks, there is a brace/bracket available at the dealer (search for part number.... it's in here!) some stock them others don't. Once you have the brackets get hooks from autozone, Oreilly's, or habeebs southside auto and slap them on. Or as long as the new bumpers are on the way, strap on to the factory steel and give it a jerk... it'll give you a new respect for fine unibloody construction.:laugh3:

just wheel easy and expect jokes when you come back.

Roll-over, I think he got his panties in a knot over my comment, not yours. But I must admit I had the same initial reaction to the thread title as you did.

extankerguy said:
I would have to say the best thing to do is to NOT take your XJ off-road until it is ready. Trying to hurry and skip and possibly forget things is NOT worth it to yourself or anyone else that could be effected....

The winner! Having been there and paid the price, I second this suggestion. Yes, I'll admit it, I was a dumb newb too a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

extankerguy said:
I would have to say the best thing to do is to NOT take your XJ off-road until it is ready. Trying to hurry and skip and possibly forget things is NOT worth it to yourself or anyone else that could be effected....

thats no fun...

fawk that - go wheel with what you got, just be "creative"

not that there is any excuse for getting stuck without tow points... but hey - that just makes it more fun..

oh - and carry your AAA card with you...

Roll-over said:
As for hooks, there is a brace/bracket available at the dealer (search for part number.... it's in here!) some stock them others don't. Once you have the brackets get hooks from autozone, Oreilly's, or habeebs southside auto and slap them on.
Do NOT buy the brackets from the dealer. They are still available, but they want about $85 -- for each bracket, plus another $10 EACH for the smaller braces that go with them, plus ...

Contact Rusty's Off-Road or Custom 4x4 Fabrication. They both sell a complete front tow hook kit, including the brackets, hooks, and mounting bolts, for about 75 clams. Either do that, or get a front receiver hitch for about $125.

Back