• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB questions (knobs/switches)

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed an old Cobra 29 XLR CB that I got for free out of an old Bronco. I dont know if the cb works or not but I also dont know what I should have different knobs and switches set on. So, if someone could tell me what I should have the stuff set to and it still doesnt work then I will go out and get a new radio, not a big deal, just figured I'd try the free one first.

Heres what I got:

Switches (each group to one switch):

SWR
CAL
S/RF

NB
ANL
OFF

CB
PA
^I figured that one out myself

HF
OFF

The knobs are:

Dynamike
SWR CAL
RF GAIN
Delta Tune

So if anyone can tell me how to set it up I would really appreciate it. Also I read in that other cb post today that the most used channel is 19, is this true for all areas of the US? And is there a channel, like a weather channel or something that would have stuff going on non-stop?

Thanks a lot

Dean

if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it

DDCxj said:
I just installed an old Cobra 29 XLR CB that I got for free out of an old Bronco. I dont know if the cb works or not but I also dont know what I should have different knobs and switches set on. So, if someone could tell me what I should have the stuff set to and it still doesnt work then I will go out and get a new radio, not a big deal, just figured I'd try the free one first.

Heres what I got:

Switches (each group to one switch):

SWR
CAL
S/RF

NB
ANL
OFF

CB
PA
^I figured that one out myself

HF
OFF

The knobs are:

Dynamike
SWR CAL
RF GAIN
Delta Tune

So if anyone can tell me how to set it up I would really appreciate it. Also I read in that other cb post today that the most used channel is 19, is this true for all areas of the US? And is there a channel, like a weather channel or something that would have stuff going on non-stop?

Thanks a lot

Dean

if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it

I have one similar to that (but it didn't come with a manual :( )

the first switch:

S/RF (use this for normal operation)
SWR (standing wave ratio)
CAL (use this setting to calibrate the antenna in conjunction with the SWR Cal knob)

The second switch:
ANL (automatic noise limiter)
NB (noise blocker)
Off

The HF switch: :dunno:

As stated above, use the SWR Cal knob to tune the radio

Dynamike & Delta Tune :dunno: I cant tell any difference when monkeying with these anyway.

RF Gain: turn this one up to pick up more distant transmitters, or down if you are talking back & forth with short distances between units (like on the trail) and don't want to hear Gilliermo from Guatemala.

I had great luck with my CB and a cheap ($40ish) radio shack shorty antenna...talked with my (stationary on a hilltop) buddy over 6 miles away through hilly/forested terrainbefore I finally lost him. Granted he has apprx 100w booster hooked up to a 'tuned' Connex in his rig, but he could still hear me fine...other than in the creek bottoms. Was also able to 'get out' from up by Slickrock/Tellico down to the trail 5 river ford one night. Straight line distance not too far, but a couple hills in between... With a 'real-deal' (K40, Wilson etc.) antenna, I bet it gets better.

Use the SWR feature to tune the antenna. Go www.firestik.com and read the tech or faq section about antennas and swr tuning.

Put the Delta tune in the middle. It is for fine tuning incoming signals. Mostly pointless and useless.

DynaMic is like an amplified power mic. Run it all the way to the right unless people complain you sound funny. Then back it off until they are happy.

Truckers are mostly on ch 19. 4x4's are often on ch 4. Some radio have weather channels but it is receive only

Last edited:
is your HF knob really RF like RF gain??

if so thats for how well you hear others I run mine all the way cranked, and then adjust with the squelch. If you are getting a lot of skip (that's another thread) then turn the RF gain back a little. go to www.cbradioforum.com for any cb info you could ever want :lecture:

Thanks for the info guys, I'll be looking through those sites.

Dean

Back