• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY: Home Brew T-case Drop

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
ok - i am one of thoes people who writes about everything...

finished the write up on the t-case drop...

http://www.opiebennett.com/t-casedrop.htm

keep in mind - this was on my rig for a total of 5 days... then the SYE went in

this is a Band-aid fix for a real problem...

keywords:
T-case drop, vibes, vibrations, no SYE, slip yoke eliminator, driveshaft geometry, yoke, u-joint, clearance, rear, motor mounts, transfer case, tranny drop, xfer case, x-member, cross member, crossmember, tranny mount, slip yoke eliminator, slip yoke, slip joint

opening myself up for more ridicule to the day staff....

XJ_ranger said:
opening myself up for more ridicule to the day staff....

You asked for it... way too involved an explanation for such a simple job, IMHO.

Lawn Cher' said:
You asked for it... way too involved an explanation for such a simple job, IMHO.

im trying to be thorough... and catch EVERYTHING

That long of a write up for how to install square tubing? If the noobs can't install square tubing without a major write up, they need to pull their rigs to the side of the road, install a round tube from the exhaust to the driver's side window and turn the ignition on. No wonder things are getting out of hand around here.... :wave:

you for got to tell us how to prime and paint or even if we should!!!! im soooo confused!!!! RUST KILLS ALL, doesnt it?!?!?!?! LOL...LOL

good (even if wordy ) write up.

Troy

Urban Redneck said:
That long of a write up for how to install square tubing? If the noobs can't install square tubing without a major write up, they need to pull their rigs to the side of the road, install a round tube from the exhaust to the driver's side window and turn the ignition on. No wonder things are getting out of hand around here.... :wave:
He mentioned the two studs, aka "bolts from above" and other ridiculous names...it won't matter though since the Newbs never search anyway...

Couldn't find four M10x1.50 bolts of the same steel? :laugh3:

Yucca-Man said:
He mentioned the two studs, aka "bolts from above" and other ridiculous names...it won't matter though since the Newbs never search anyway...

Couldn't find four M10x1.50 bolts of the same steel? :laugh3:

no - 3 are the polished grade 5 stuff, but i couldnt finr a 4th one - so got a stainless bolt to fill that hole...

I think you guys need to lay off the the man. He's only trying to be helpfull... Think of all the new guys that read this and don't have to post how to...oh, that's right, you were pro right from the start. lol
... appreciate the write up
thanks

I considered making a T/case drop to address the yoke clearence problem on my lifted XJ but have discovered that you can fit a YJ slip yoke to the stock XJ shaft, which doubles the clearence available, making it work great with no vibes and plenty of movement for offroad use. It fits right on with no modification, you can also use a TJ one, but this requires a little machining. This simple mod takes care of the problem without losing ground clearence or the expense of an SYE.

cjwalkeriii said:
I think you guys need to lay off the the man. He's only trying to be helpfull... Think of all the new guys that read this and don't have to post how to...oh, that's right, you were pro right from the start. lol
thanks

dont worry bout me bud - most of the playing around here is just that...

cjwalkeriii said:
thanks

See, that's where you are completely wrong. When I was a noob, I searched for my answer first, and kept my pie-hole shut. I wouldn't have attempted any mods to my rig unless I knew what I was doing around a vehicle. Having started wrenching with my Dad around the age of 9, I learned some things. For part 2 of your defense...the noobs will still post their questions of "I searched and can't find how to install a t-case drop." I've posted my fair share of tech on these boards, and Ranger knows that I'm yanking his chain, so there you go.

Urban Redneck said:

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Word to the noobs.....if your name is in RED odds are good we know each other.

We bag on each other...because we can. Thats part of the privlage of being a paid member.

Like all your writeups XJ_Ranger, its thorough and useful. If someone can't follow that, they can't work on their junk. Not everyone out there has basic mechanical skills, so writeups like that are useful to some if not most. If we all did writeups like that and posted it up for others to see, we'd probably have about a thousand less questions a week to answer. All that said, Ranger, you probably don't want to leave that stainless bolt in there for too long. Stainless and galvanized or black steel are a bad mix. They electrolyze and over a brief time, will 'bond' better than JB Weld...

Beej said:
If we all did writeups like that and posted it up for others to see, we'd probably have about a thousand less questions a week to answer...

While I can appreciate your thought, the words "Do a search, Noob" came around for a reason. Being in your profession, you of all people should know that today's kids want everything handed to them without having to work for it...instant gratification.

Urban Redneck said:
While I can appreciate your thought, the words "Do a search, Noob" came around for a reason. Being in your profession, you of all people should know that today's kids want everything handed to them without having to work for it...instant gratification.

HE lives on an island....don't hold your breath :D

red91inWA said:
HE lives on an island....don't hold your breath :D

i thought beej was in canada - Glenn lives on an island...

as far as the stainless bolt - I pulled the T-case drop about 5 days after i put it in - it was just to get by before the AA SYE arived...

Back