• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smashed grill

Rocky

NAXJA Forum User
I recently saw a few pic's of I believe an 88 Laredo or Limited with 4 headlights and the marker lights in the grill. I had a small run in with a low flying missile(a duck) and smashed my grill up good.
Now, my XJ is a 93 Sport, what kind of mods will I have to do to make it fit? The wiring is pretty simple, just thought if I could find one in a U-pull-it it might look less like every other one in town. :)

Rocky said:
I recently saw a few pic's of I believe an 88 Laredo or Limited with 4 headlights and the marker lights in the grill. I had a small run in with a low flying missile(a duck) and smashed my grill up good.
Now, my XJ is a 93 Sport, what kind of mods will I have to do to make it fit? The wiring is pretty simple, just thought if I could find one in a U-pull-it it might look less like every other one in town. :)

I've thought about the same thing, what you are asking about is a early XJ Wagoneer limited front end. Let me know what you find out cause I might do the same. I'm thinking if you get the wiring from the Limited it might just plug into your harness but I have never found one yet at the junkyards that hasn't already been fooled with so I could check it out.
Mike B.

You're looking at about an '87 thru '89 Wagoneer. The VERY early Wagoneers still had single 6094 headlamps.

To convert a '93, I believe you would have to replace the entire header panel. The grille and trim was revised in '91 and the '91 thru '96 carries a different part number for the header.

Also be advised that those little rectangular headlights are not the same as most quad headlamps -- they are smaller, harder to find (not impossible, but harder), and they provide lousy lighting.

So Eagle, it looks as though you wouldn't recommend the swap. Any other ideas or should I just hunt around for a grill for a 93? What about high output halogens run direct from the alternator with a relay, using the headlight switch to switch the relay? Use both lights on for high beams, should be plenty of light. What do you think? Thanks for the info on year/model, as usual way ahead of me!

I'm not recommending for or against the swap -- that's a personal decision based on what you like. I'm just pointing out that (a) you're looking at buying more than just a grille, and (b) the result is going to be lousy lights.

I don't even know if they make high-output lamps for those lights, but I believe the stock wiring for it already runs high and low beams together. You would have to review a wiring diagram in a FSM to confirm. The problem is that those lamps are so tiny that they simply don't put out much light.

Personally, if I were faced with needing a grille and I was going to replace the header to do it, I'd update to the 97+ style rather than go nack to an old Waggy grille and micro-lights.

Eagle said:
You're looking at about an '87 thru '89 Wagoneer. The VERY early Wagoneers still had single 6094 headlamps.

86 Wag ltd's had that 4 headlight front as well, looked at one a while back.
Mike B.

Back