• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

That Dreaded Left Hand Turn...

jeepinxj05

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a '91 XJ with np242, about 5 inches of lift, stock control arms, rough country adjustable track bar, and unbalanced 33 inch A/Ts. When i turn left, i get death wobble... But never Right??? What's up with that??? I know i have like 3 things i need to do to fix this but im i poor high school student who's parents pay for nothing. So, my question is, what should i do first? ( o yeah, i think the track bar is loose up at the frame but can't for the life of me adjust it... Any suggestion??) Of all this stuff, what will have the greatest impact on not having death wobble? Thanks ya'll

I feel for ya man! Tighten the TB mount, check the ball end on the TB, check all the TREs and balljoints, and if that's all ok... Band-aid it with a HD steering damper. Any noise when you turn the wheel back and forth with the engine off???

Yes, there's noise. A slight clunk i guess and when i had someone steer back and forth, i could see the track bar moving back and forth... im thinkin i could maybe get my frame on jack stands and drop the axle, just because the track bar joint may be in a bind... what i mean is i know it's loose but it won't tighten... anyways, ya'll think this'll help me out?

also stock rubber LCA bushings give a lot, amplifying the wobble. these should be fairly cheap to replace, poly bushings are stronger and more resistant to wobble, but your ride "quality" suffers especially with lift and stock legnth CAs.

jeepinxj05 said:
Track bar to mount
Ok, I have to ask... did you remember to take the cotter pin out before tightening it?

If so then the torque spec for that nut is 62# (haynes). If it spins free then try some carb cleaner to clean any oil off and use channel locks to help hold the bottom. When the track bar moves is the nut on top moving with it? If not then it's time to replace it.

It's a new track bar... may have been stupidity on my part but when i first put it on, no matter how i adjusted it, the nut wouldnt tighten enough to fit the cotter pin, so, there's no cotter pin...

try this... if it works I'm a genious if not you're out 15 cents... grab two of the largest washers you can get that fit snug on the ball stud and still sit inside the mount. toss one on each side of the mount and crank it back down.

Back