• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD 242 SYE Idea??? Maybe

CartsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was recently looking at pics with different main shafts for comparesion, 231J, 231D, 241D and the JB 231 HD. What I am wondering is, since the real only difference between the 242 and 231 main shaft is where the shaft goes into reduction part, on the 242 it has a smooth bearing area where a splined collar goes over it and the 231 just has the splines directly on the main shaft.
So, could you take a HD 231 main shaft and machine it down to the 242 measurements, then re-treat it, for hardness. Granted you would have to modify the output housing, but thats just bearings and seals right? or hell, I could probably design one and get it CNC'd here locally. I know a few people. The main shaft is the biggest hurdle, so could it be done?

true, he is still using the stock main shaft. Its not a HD shaft. It would have actually been easier for Okie, if he had the front output yoke off of a 231, its already a 27 splined yoke. He just used what he had. As I saw he already had an extra 242 case, which uses a 32 splined front output yoke. His setup still leaves the smaller diameter speedo gear area, which in MHO is the weakest part of the whole case.

TTT, anybody got any ideas if this would work?

Back