• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking about spooling my 8.8

thisfirstlove

NAXJA Forum User
The reason im only thinking and not doing is that its my DD and also my Wheeler...so im looking for feedback from those who have spooled rear ends. What should i do?

I had a spool in my jeep for a while, drove it on the road all the time, as long as its dry and you dont mind the tire chirp then it is fine.

But judging by your location, i would advise against it. In wet/icy/snow covered roads, a spool can make a vehicle act squirly and can put you in a ditch or into on comming trafic in a heartbeat.

I actually jsut spent my last winter in NH. Next fall ill bestarting school in miami. I dont care about tire chirp. i think ive made up my mind...or you just might see a 8.8 mini-spool up for grabs on the BST bord soon.

Since the carriers are the notorious weak links in the 8.8 I'd reccomend going with a full spool. Hate to bust a carrier on the trail--

ctavel said:
Since the carriers are the notorious weak links in the 8.8 I'd reccomend going with a full spool. Hate to bust a carrier on the trail--

well that and the bearing caps in that rear end will be an issue
there are aftermarket diff covers that have stabs that add pressure to the bearing caps and keep them from flying out...

might search for "welding my 8.8" thread - id assume the effect would be similar...

why not just pony up the extra 100 for an used lunchbox locker?

Think again about spooling it. Trust me! I did SOO Much research becasue I am in the same spot as you.

Whats required to run a spool on an 8.8 is getting the c clip eliminator kit. But I called every SINGLE company that sells them and they all said that the c clip eliminators cannot handle side loads. PERIOD.

If you want a full spool, go 9" or go home.

Thats how come i stuck with the detriot.

Matt

I've run a full spool...on an 8.8 in a mustang for 2 years....worked fine...with TONS of holeshots...and payed hell to it constantly....at the strip and on the street. I've also ran full-spooled Dana 44's, 14-bolts, 12 bolts.

If they will hold up at the dragstrip...and about 90% of the guys that race alot use them...then they'll definitely hold up on a dd/trail rig. Plus....they're CHEAP...comparatively. Just my opinion though.

Aron

BigDawgz said:
I've run a full spool...on an 8.8 in a mustang for 2 years....worked fine...with TONS of holeshots...and payed hell to it constantly....at the strip and on the street. I've also ran full-spooled Dana 44's, 14-bolts, 12 bolts.

If they will hold up at the dragstrip...and about 90% of the guys that race alot use them...then they'll definitely hold up on a dd/trail rig. Plus....they're CHEAP...comparatively. Just my opinion though.

Aron
i wouldn't imagine a Mustang sees the type of side-loads on the c-clip eliminators that a wheeled Jeep would. I agree with Scrappy, Detroit, ARB, or 9" are the choices.

BrettM said:
i wouldn't imagine a Mustang sees the type of side-loads on the c-clip eliminators that a wheeled Jeep would. I agree with Scrappy, Detroit, ARB, or 9" are the choices.

LOL...you never rode with the likes of me .........either...LOL
Aron

I called auburn gear when looking for a spool for my 8.8...they have minispools that work with your c-clips...4.56's w/ 36" swampers used (but not abused) hard...never broke it...and that was with 28(?) spline 8.8 out of a lincoln mark VII...$150 for the rear from the u-pull and about the same for the minispool

I can only speak from my own experience with a powertrax installed in an 8.8 and the winter driving. Absolutely loved it and wouldn't go without it in the slick stuff. Sure you can get it squirrely but after driving it for awhile you adapt and I found I didn't use 4wd near as much as before.

Back