• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone painted their flares?

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone painted their fender flares either black or the color of your jeep? I want to paint my faded flares black or my emerald green jeep color. What paint brands or types work the best? I don't want to get any cracking and I'm sick of using back to black on my flares... it gets on the body and looks smudgy... The new paint will complement my lift and make my jeep look that much tighter and uniform.

hey,
just the other day i got tired of using "back to black" to continually bring back all that trim on my jeep(bumper end caps/door bump trim) so i went and got a couple bottles of 3M rubberized undercoating took some blue masking tape and taped off the jeep and painted them with the 3M, it darkened them up and gave them this textured rubicon black look (similar to that on some of the after market bumpers)..and so far they have not faded cracked or anything and the GF thinks they look really good....
Maier

YOu shoulda taken them off and painted them.... I think if i did that I would coat everything, do my bumpers, caps, everything.... don't you think i should sand it first before I paint it?

I used the krylon fusion paint on my TJ flares...worked wonders.

Just painted my 98 flares with Dupli-Color Bumper coating. Used black but it does come in charcoal and silver. It looks just like a new plastic flare. just did it so dont know how fast it's gonna fade.

ChandlerXJ said:
YOu shoulda taken them off and painted them.... I think if i did that I would coat everything, do my bumpers, caps, everything.... don't you think i should sand it first before I paint it?
yea, if you are painting the stock flairs on yer xj definatly rough them up a bit. then paint em. or coat em whatever. i haven't done my flares yet, (cuz i wanna trim out thw wells and put tj flares on but i gotta buy a locker first)
good luck...
Maier

hjeepxj said:
I used the krylon fusion paint on my TJ flares...worked wonders.

x2

When I had my flares, this is what I used- worked great. Make sure to apply it in thin coats to prevent bubbling.

I would think ruberized undercoating is not durable enough for use on flares from my experience with it.

Krylon Fusion does wonders.............
edit:sorry bout the ginormous pics
Before:
DSCF0067.jpg

After:
DSCF0259.jpg

I used the cheap paint from Walmart. I scuffed the flares with a green 3M pad, wiped them with alcohol & painted. Just repainted them after 2 years because of trail hazards. JIM.

To restore them back to dark black, you might like to try putting a heat gun on them. Hold the gun from a distance of about a foot and not too long in one place (or you'll melt the plastic), and they'll look like new after just a few minutes on each flare - just make sure that you give them a good clean before you start.... nothing abrasive, just a good car wash like Meguiars or similar will be ok.

If you do a search, this thread has come up a few times before, and the above method is arguably one of the better ways to restore flares.

Good luck,

Quarterwave

Back