• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Audio?

noresttill

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry I dont really know where this belongs.

I think we all can agree that the stock speakers in trhe XJ are not too fantastic to begin with and my back 2 are blown anyways. so what wattage of speakers to put in it all around? (i know 5.25")

My head is a JVC with 180 watt total output and 18 Watt RMS (I assume per channel).

I want to buy the most for my money but not more than I need.

Thansk Everyone

Go with a speaker rated for 20 to 25 watts rms, dont worry to much about peak power but it should be able to handle about 50+. A speaker that handles 25 watts rms should easily handle 50 peak. You only need them to handle 18 watts rms and 45watts peak but go with something that will handle a little more just to be safe. By the way it is 18 watts per channel.

If you've got a 96 or earlier, the fibreglass tailgate is fairly easy to open up for 6x9 speakers with a Dremel. I've done it four times already - takes about a half-hour if you have a template to work from.

Before you pick your speakers (not that I'm saying anyone here is wrong - but they don't know what you've got in mind. I don't think we have any psychics on staff here...) take a minute to decide what you've got in mind for any upgrades to your sound system - head unit, amp, anything like that.

Even a small amp, carefully selected and installed, can give you clean sound if that's where you want to go.

However, if you're going to stay with the OEM head unit or anything similar, the recommendations you've got here are sound. I just want to make sure you're not going to forget anything (it's the engineer in me - can't help myself.)

5-90

I went with Infinity 5012is all around in my last XJ. These were with both the stock (non-Infinity) system and the Alpine CDA-9831 that replaced it. Sound was excellent from both, and they can easily handle as much power as your JVC is putting out - I've run these speakers in my cars for close to four years now in a similar setup, and have never had a problem.

As an aside, my current XJ has the factory Infinity system. Good Lord, is it a pile of crap. The two front speakers blew a couple of weeks ago and I replaced them with Wal-Mart's finest, cheapest, $37-per-pair Pioneer TS-G1340Rs which were an unbelievable improvement over the supposedly 'premium' speakers. Not that they sound great, but they certainly are better than what was supplied from the factory. It's hard to believe that anyone spent the extra $700 on the Infinity system when it did, in fact, sound worse than the regular four-speaker system.

Back