• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty's lift?

swoop

NAXJA Forum User
will a rusty's 4.5" lift that is currently on a '88 xj, work on an mj? i assume everything is basicly the same, however i have heard of different spring packs in the rear.

also i have heard that all '87 mj's have dana 44's in the rear, is this true?

please shed some light on this, cuase i totaled my xj and there's a 87 mj for sale for $2000. would love to build it up rather than spending the cash to try and fix y xj.

it should work but the back maybe a little lower, you could always add a shakle
i dunno about the rear end
jimmy

All of the front end lift parts will work. But the difference between the XJ & MJ is the rear springs. XJs have the leaf pack mounted on top of the axle, and the MJs leafs are spring under. Since you have the AAL in the back end you could probably use that in the MJ spring packs.

Scott S.

Rusty's has a 4.5" likft kit made specifically for the MJ. The only difference is that the MJ kit uses an SOA conversion for the rear lift instead of springs. You can use the front lift parts from your XJ and fab up an SOA (they're not hard at all and very cheap).

Not all 87 MJs have the D44. I believe it was part of the "Metric Ton" heavy towing package. My 87 MJ (w/ a 4-banger) came with the good ol' D35. Hope this helps ya.

Brent

ok then heres another question i thought of, what if i pulled the d35 out of my xj and put it in the mj, would that solve the spring under thing for the lift?

swoop said:
ok then heres another question i thought of, what if i pulled the d35 out of my xj and put it in the mj, would that solve the spring under thing for the lift?

It would if you used your stock MJ springs.

I belive That the sprine perches are about an inch wider on the mj compared to the xj, so the axle wount bolt up.There are alot of myths about the 44 and what came with it. I know most metric ton MJs ahd them I know mine did. I got the one for my red XJ out of a 2wd 4.0 XJ with a tow package.

I have heard stories that the D44 could be ordered on any year MJ ('86-'92). The XJs only got it from '87-'89. Then again, I may be wrong.

Brent

i believe it is only the 87-88 with the D44 my 89 has a 35

Back