• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30 alloy shafts and ox ujoints

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, so I have ox ujoints, warn alloy inners and superior outers and I'm trying to put it all together. Sounds like a simple operation, but it's not :eek:
Anyways, the problem is that after I disassembled the ox ujoint, it is an extremely tight fit in between the ears of both the warn and superior shafts: it starts going in easy but I can't get it in low enough to have the holes center so that I can press the trunions (I think that's what they're called) in. Anyways I could probably force it to the "centered" position but then I have a feeling that the joints would bind when turning. Any ideas? suggestions?
Thanks
Remi

I had the same problem with my Warn D44 shafts, just pound them in with a rubber mallet. The part that's tight is the bronze race that's pressed into the body, they'll break in after a little while.

Cool, that sounds easy enough :D I was actually considering taking a grinder to the inner sides of the ears and shaving them just a hair, but if it will work itself out I'll just pound them in. Now if I only knew what did I do with the damn mallet.....

Jes said:
I had the same problem with my Warn D44 shafts, just pound them in with a rubber mallet. The part that's tight is the bronze race that's pressed into the body, they'll break in after a little while.
Ok, either I'm doing something wrong or something is not right. I wailed on those suckers pretty hard and they got to a point past which they would not go anymore and I was still offset from the hole. What gives?

BrettM said:
no can do: my folks hijacked my camera when they went on vacations.
I'm going to try to describe what's happening: the centersection is going in to a point where when you look through the hole in the ear, you can see the inner hole on the center section being about 1/8"+ away from where it's supposed to be. I tried hitting the body down with a hammer but it just didn't want to go past a particular point: it wasn't crooked or wedged it just seemed like the ears were too tight for it to go in. I tried it on the inners and the outer with the same result.

Btw, does anyone have a website for OX? I tried looking them up and couldn't find them.

would grinding down the inner side of the ear be a bad idea? I'm thinking about either making a single pass with the grinder (if I can find a disk that can reach in ther ecomfortably) or taking a file to it and file it down a hair.

Kejtar said:
would grinding down the inner side of the ear be a bad idea? I'm thinking about either making a single pass with the grinder (if I can find a disk that can reach in ther ecomfortably) or taking a file to it and file it down a hair.
no opinion on that - but!

a dremel might be a more controled idea compared to the 4.5" grinder

XJ_ranger said:
no opinion on that - but!

a dremel might be a more controled idea compared to the 4.5" grinder
Good point (that's why I was thinking file :D). So in general it shouldn't hurt to take a mm (if even) off each side?

I'm not familiar with the Ox ujoints but is there any way you knocked a pin bearing out of the carrier and that's what you're whaling on???

Roll-over said:
I'm not familiar with the Ox ujoints but is there any way you knocked a pin bearing out of the carrier and that's what you're whaling on???
Nope, there is no pin bearings. OX ujoints have the trunions (I think that's what the side pieces are called) fully removeable and what I am left with is a center section with 4 primary holes (1 on each side) that the trunions slide into through the shaft (so the center section goes in between the ears and the trunions slide from the outside through the holes in the ears into the main body where they are locked by another piece in place)

Im not exactly sure what you're describing (have an ok idea). If you think removing metal is the way to go, use a handtool and be sure to work the metal as not to create obvious stress risers. At first I would put on a pair of welding gloves and try heating the shafts up a couple of hundered degrees in the oven before taking metal away from uber expensive alloy shafts.

Kejtar said:
I didn't buy the ox joints, I won them in a raffle

hhmm so they have to give them away now :laugh3: J/P

Sounds like all you need is a bigger hammer....

sintax said:

Actually I finally got them in without filing anything down. It's kind of hard to explain but I ended up hammering them in off center and then rotating them into place.

sintax said:

A BF bronze hammer is all you need.

-Mike

Back