• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Install Tachometer on my XJ

gbarkan said:
I have in my hand Tachometer and I would like to install it on my XJ
Does anybody have instruction?
nope - but i do have some pictures of the stock wireing for the stock tach - in my guage swap write up...

http://www.opiebennett.com/Gauge.htm

i know that there is a sender somewhere -

hope this helps a little...

gbarkan said:
I have in my hand Tachometer and I would like to install it on my XJ
Does anybody have instruction?

Hold you hand in front of your face while driving so you can see it.

Did the tach come with any directions? If it is an aftermarket tach it should tell you how to hook it up.

jeepguy97 said:
Hold you hand in front of your face while driving so you can see it.

Did the tach come with any directions? If it is an aftermarket tach it should tell you how to hook it up.

cute

Unfortunately I have no instruction and I’m confuse a bit as my technical knowledge are limited

gbarkan said:
cute

Unfortunately I have no instruction and I’m confuse a bit as my technical knowledge are limited
what company guage?

did you try to call that company?

did you try a google search for that part number?

people who cant help themselves...
:flamemad::flame::firedevil

dude its easy. it took me around a 1/2 hr to install my autometer. find which wire to clip b/c it depends on 4,6,8 cyls. run the red to a power access. fuse that is hot w/ the key on and cold in off position. green goes to the coil pack.. (again find which is hot) black is the ground. there might be one more if the tack has a light on it which also can gets ran to the fuse box. hopes it works for ya!

waterlogged_xj said:
dude its easy. it took me around a 1/2 hr to install my autometer. find which wire to clip b/c it depends on 4,6,8 cyls. run the red to a power access. fuse that is hot w/ the key on and cold in off position. green goes to the coil pack.. (again find which is hot) black is the ground. there might be one more if the tack has a light on it which also can gets ran to the fuse box. hopes it works for ya!

Sorry for my ignorance, where can I found and how does it look the coil pack

gbarkan said:
Sorry for my ignorance, where can I found and how does it look the coil pack
The coil pack should be located on the passenger side of the engine compartment, mounted to the inner fender about halfway back along the engine. The exact location is different depending on what year XJ you have, which you did not specify.

To be honest, if you cannot find the coil pack on your vehicle you should not attempt to install the tachometer yourself. Find someone who knows how to do it, pay them to install it, and watch while they do it.

Eagle said:
The coil pack should be located on the passenger side of the engine compartment, mounted to the inner fender about halfway back along the engine. The exact location is different depending on what year XJ you have, which you did not specify.

To be honest, if you cannot find the coil pack on your vehicle you should not attempt to install the tachometer yourself. Find someone who knows how to do it, pay them to install it, and watch while they do it.

nevertheless, thank you

Eagle said:

There are 2 wires in the coil, Green and Black, do you know which one of them I need to connect the Green wire from the Tachometer?

I have a Sun Super Tach and that uses a green wire, so maybe yours is the same. The instructions say to connect the green wire from the tach to the negative side of the coil.

Negative side is ground, and in automotive wiring ground is almost always black. Connect the green wire from the tach to the black wire at the coil.

Back