• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over Heating

BiggJohnson06

NAXJA Forum User
Ok ive got a 91 XJ with a 3 inch skyjacker lift and 33 inch tires i like to off road as much as possible but almost everytime it starts to over hear and gets hot i know im not the only one with this problem XJ's are known for this problem but does anyone know some things i can do to keep the heat down while off road

I put on a flex-a-lite fan instead of the factory clutch fan and then got rid of the resivior bottle. Mine always leaked and i replaced it a few times. I put a fill cap on the hose going into the top of the radiator so the system can be totally full. This solved my problem and if it gets a little warm on the trail I will put my heater on to cool it the extra bit it needs. Hope this helps

A new OEM fan clutch will outflow any electric.

A new MODINE 2 core will out cool just about any other radiator out there.

I have learned both of these things the hard way.

Now my 4.6 liter stays cool all the time.

Don't settle for any 2 core other than a Modine. The rest are all junk.

IMHO,
CRASH

I had same prob with my 96 but that was after pond water over the hood with 6" lift and 33's. Plus I drove it from Az to Ky and didnt have any probs till 6mths after pond incident. I replaced it with the 3core that autozone sells and no probs at all.

i replaced the radiator and fan clutch didnt solve anything... what about those hood vents or a cowl hood do you think that would make much of a difference?

Have you gone to the late model aux cooling fan?

CRASH

Be careful which clutch you buy. Took me a few to learn that they are different. I think mines a HD from Shucks but it's been a while. NAPA clutches are crap.

What radiator did you buy? I think the GDI's are crap. I have one in mine that I had to have brushed out before the cooling problems went away. I have heard of several other people with the same problem.

Also did you flush the system before putting in the new rad? The tubes are pretty small and the sediment can plug them shortly.

Are you using a t-stat with the bleeder hole in it? If not drill a small hole on the top side or put one in that has it. Helps get the air pockets out of the system after refilling.

I don't think the hood vents are worth while. Mine didn't overheat ever until I got about 200K on it so when it started I knew it had to be one of the parts in the existing system.

The later style S-blade fan is much better and a good upgrade. Probably won't cure your problem though.

Have fun, it took me a while to figure mine out and it came down to a leaky stock radiator which was replaced with the plugged GDI.

Back