• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5 & 33's

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
OK... PICTURES PLEASE of anyone with an RE 3.5" Superflex and 33's With or without fender trimming.

I have 31's but want to go to 33 Muds. "Got Inch-itis"

I'd add a rear shackle and a spacer in the front to go to 4.5 BUT would I need adjustable CA's then? MY RE 3.5 is more like 5 in the back and 4.5 in the front.

Here's a pic of my current height. What do yous guys think??

xjside.gif

xjside

I have the re 4.5 superflex kit, I would reccomend adj. control arms. Mine came with the RE arms but my front axel still isn't as centered in the wheel well as I'd like it. As for the 33's I have a buddy with the same lift as me and he just put on 33x13.50's and he's going to need to do some trimming. You could fit them I'm sure but you won't hardly have any up travel. I my self plan to go with the super swamper 33x15.50's once my bfgs are worn and I know plenty of trimming will be needed to get the clearence I want without adding anymore lift. just my $.02 on that hope it helps.

I have 33s on comanche with 4.5 inchs of lift. I did massive of fender trimming so it still flex without rubbing. I only have non adjustable lower arms on also.

Rocketman said:
I'd add a rear shackle and a spacer in the front to go to 4.5 BUT would I need adjustable CA's then?
xjside

YES!

your CA's will make a terrible pinion angle that will kill your front Driveshaft...

Your current setup with the RE 3.5" is plenty for 33's. Just do a little trimming and properly adjust your bumpstops and you will be good to go. Here are some writeups I did on my site for the trimming and bumpstops to help you out.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/fender_trimming.htm
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/Adjusting_Bumpstops.htm

Here are two XJ's built exactly the same with the RE 3.5" kit and running 33's, that have been trimmed and bumpstopped exactly as in my writeups

100_0328.jpg

100_0702.jpg

When it comes to big tires, such as 33's, and actually using them on the trails, adding another inch or two of lift will just add more lift and raise your center of gravity, not add more clearance where you need it for bigger tires, such as the front and rear of the wheel wells. Hope that helps.

Back