• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to rotate axle backwards to install *pinion angle*

xjj33p3r

NAXJA Member #1108
I cant get the upper arms installed for the life of me. I'm not using coil compressors this time, so it's making it a bit tougher to get all the arms installed. How exactly can I get the axle to rotate backwards enough so I can install the upper arms? I've already got the lowers bolted on, and I tried installing uppers first, then lowers, but that also didn't work. Any late night advice? I'm working on it right now, and I want to have it done so I can drive to class tomorrow

Yea you understood me correctly. So far, I can't really position a bottle jack correctly in order to push the pinion downwards, and I've tried so much tugging that my arms are shaking. I'm not used to changing out axles on my own, or picking them up for that matter... :(

Use an 18" pipewrench and a floor jack. Grab onto the axle with the pipewrench nearest the CA you are trying to install, so that it rotates in the direction you want it to.

Once the pipe wrench is snug on the axle, place the end of the pipe wrench on the pad of the floorjack. Jack it up slowly, rotating the axle, until you line up the holes, and install the bolt.

Of course, be sure your rig is on the ground....

Ivan

Ivan said:
Use an 18" pipewrench and a floor jack. Grab onto the axle with the pipewrench nearest the CA you are trying to install, so that it rotates in the direction you want it to.

Once the pipe wrench is snug on the axle, place the end of the pipe wrench on the pad of the floorjack. Jack it up slowly, rotating the axle, until you line up the holes, and install the bolt.

Of course, be sure your rig is on the ground....

Ivan
I wish I had a pipewrech right now :cry:

Yea I'm really starting to hate coils... every time I do work on the axle it seems to get harder and harder. Screw this, it's late, I'm going to bed. I'll deal with it tomorrow after I go to class. After a whole day of that, I'll be begging to do work on it.

I had trouble with getting a lower arm in correctly, so I just used a hi-lift from the frame's upper mount and the coil pad and had a buddy pull on it while I waited with the bolt. Sure enough it pushed it forward enough to slip in and I was all set. I also tried using a come-along from the axle's upper control arm mount to the back axle. That worked too.

Another way to rotate the axle is to block the wheels good, start the Jeep up and move it forward or back in 2WD. It'll take a few tries but you can generally rotate it this way.

I've never done this to make uppers line up though - but I know that it works well for lowers, had to do it when I collapsed my LH LCA at Calico ;)

Unbolt your swaybar first...it's easier to muscle the axle around that way.

(eye-to-eye on the UCA is too long, right?) Use a comealong and a floor jack. Wrap the comealong over the pinion and under the axletubes, and tighten. You may need to experiment with lifting/dropping the floorjack under the axletube or LCA mount in conjunction with the comealong to rotate the pinion.

Another option that is a bit more labor-intensive although it works pretty well is to unbolt an LCA, then connect the two UCAs. The LCA is easier to manipulate to reconnect.

You could also invite your neighbor Bubba over for a beer and pizza if he'll do the gruntwork.

Another way is to have your helper get in the jeep and lock the brakes... use the leverage of the tire/wheel to twist the axle into position.

Just use a ratchet strap. Works every time.

here is how i did it...

XJ_ranger said:
here is how i did it...

OOOOOh, brandy new pipe wrench, not even dirty yet, same with the floor jack. Me thinks that was a quick run out to the local hardware store.... I'm amazed at the use we've made of them on the TJ. BOTH front and rear coils.....

RichP said:
OOOOOh, brandy new pipe wrench, not even dirty yet, same with the floor jack.
Looks like an episode of Superlift Offroad Adventures.

RichP said:
OOOOOh, brandy new pipe wrench, not even dirty yet, same with the floor jack. Me thinks that was a quick run out to the local hardware store.... I'm amazed at the use we've made of them on the TJ. BOTH front and rear coils.....

not quite new, just clean...

dad is anal about keeping tools clean...

though the pipe wrench was new - but had it for about 5 months (dad bought it cuse its a handy tool to keep around...)

whatever man! nothing wrong with new tools!

:rattle::rattle::rattle::rattle:

I used a ratchet strap as well. Hooked one side to the cross member and wraped the other side around the passenger UCA mount on the axle.

Well, I got pretty damn creative, but I got one of the upper bolts in. I used my highlift on my upper mount and on the bulkhead and began lifting. It ligned up that bolt enough to pound it in. Now I just have the driver side left, and I just need it to go through one last hole and I'm done... I can't wait

Back