• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turning 4x4 into allwheel drive?? easy?

Jeeppie

NAXJA Forum User
I am checking what would be involved in turning our '88 XJ 5 speed into an allwheel drive. Is it as simple as swapping the NP231 case to a NP242?
I live in the Ozarks and we have lots of hilly curve gravel roads and get snow and ice in the winter. All our other cars are allwheel drive and I have a hard time getting used to the rear drive.

japril said:
what's wrong with using Part-Time?

When you hit a dry curve with lots of traction it will suck - the transfer case will bind. Do it enough and you can cause some fun damage.

Your '88 has a disco axle. Either swap in solid shafts (you'll also have to put a seal in, search, the info is out there) or lock the shift fork over to engaged with some washers. Then put a 242 in and you're set.

You might have to swap driveshafts - not sure if the shafts were different lengths between the 231 and 242.

Sequoia

Begging to differ - With 400K miles in New England in 85, 87, 89 XJ's with 231 TC (Part time) and many of those miles in Maine on gravel roads or snow I have never had a problem with binding or wear in T-cases. If its slippery enough to need 4whl; use it!

rsalemi said:
Begging to differ - With 400K miles in New England in 85, 87, 89 XJ's with 231 TC (Part time) and many of those miles in Maine on gravel roads or snow I have never had a problem with binding or wear in T-cases. If its slippery enough to need 4whl; use it!
That's all well and good but there are caveats to what you are saying:

1.) In part time mode there is a lot more understeer as compared to full-time mode. At HIGHWAY speeds and varying traction levels this can be dangerous, especially for the uninvolved driver (think spousal unit).

2.) Full-time can be run, well, full-time with no thought given to analazing whether the current conditions are slippery enough not to cause binding in the transfer case.

I've owned Subarus for the last 15 years (current DD is a `98 RS) and I can tell you with 100% certainty that comparing part-time to AWD/full-time is just plain wrong.

I run the 242 in my XJ. I like the case so much that I am planning on running one in my YJ when I do the 4.0/AW4 swap.

HTH

r@m

Back