• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rims widths

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
sorry to pose such a n00b question...

to run 33x12.5" tires an ideal rim width would be.... ?

Also anyone know of any ford 5 on 5.5 rims wider than 15x7?

could someone get by running an 8" rim with 12.5" tires (and still be able to air down with out loosing a bead?)

thanks
-Ranger

oh yeah - and my searches forced me to wade through billions of "which tire should i buy" threads...

8" is perfect for wheeling, it will hold the bead tighter than a 10. for a mall-crawler 10s are better because they make the tire look wider and will wear the tire slightly more evenly.

I of course have 10s :rolleyes: (i bought them when i was planning on running a wider tire, i'll be swapping to 8s this summer)

BrettM said:
8" is perfect for wheeling, it will hold the bead tighter than a 10. for a mall-crawler 10s are better because they make the tire look wider and will wear the tire slightly more evenly.

I of course have 10s :rolleyes: (i bought them when i was planning on running a wider tire, i'll be swapping to 8s this summer)

hmm - good call

would 15x7's be way out of line? i have thoes laying around...

Last edited:
It is possible to get 12.5s to mount on a 7 inch rim, but 8s are better.The 8 inch wheels will also cause less stress on the bearings and steering. If the 7s are what you have, you don't care about tire ware and the tires you are trying to mount are radials then go for it. Good luck trying to talk some one in to mounting a 12.5 bias ply swamper on a 7 inch rim.

Last edited:
BrettM said:

x2

except for having 10s mine are 8s :)

i run a 33 12.5 bfg m/t's on 15x7's, i've ran them at 8lbs and never lost a bead, they do kinda balloon out on the sidewalls, you can use 15x7's, but, if could i would go 15x8 next time.

actually a 7" rim would be better for airing down then an 8"

It will be very difficult to pop a bead off a 7" rim unless you seriously pinch the bead on a rock or something or air way down really low.

I ran7" rim with 35x12.5 for 2 years and never had a problem

yeah - BFG All Terrain's (radial) in the 33x12.5 variety...

havent quite figured out that midwest mud + all terrains dont mix yet...

Back