• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what kind of loads are on axle u-joint caps??

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
i ask this because i have a set of 297 shafts and the ears on one of the outers seems bent somehow.. cant press the cap in anymore to get the 2nd c-clip on the inside... so close, like 1/2 the width of the clip itself, its not a misplaced needle inside like i initially thought.. how reasonable would it be to weld the cap on the outside?? i was planning to do this anyways with a few "tacks" on each cap. but without the clip i'm just not sure....
this would be in the YJ trail rig with a lock-right in the front and 31s... not a super-rig by any means but not sure about doing it without the c-clip...
i'll probably weld it and keep it as a spare but was wondering about the loads on the actual joint and in what direction the forces work....

thanks

i weld the caps on mine since they don't stay in otherwise. i assume this is on a D30 so that they will always be spinning in which case I would just weld it and keep it as a spare. If you have lockout hubs go ahead and run it as a primary.

Had this same problem when my Jeep spit out a cap on the freeway in Arizona. Only replacement u-joint I could get was a no-name brand. And I only had a c-clamp, hammer, and screwdriver to work with.

It seemed like one of the ears was bent in about 1.5 mm. And we just could not get that last clip in. Had to drive home with no short side inner axle.

Once I got home with the proper tools (u-joint press and bench vice) and a Spicer 760 u-joint, the clips went on with no problem.

I've been told that once you get the clips in, take a hammer and give a few whacks outward on each ear to unload the force.

So are you using a Spicer u-joint?

yeah i guess i neglected to point out the fact its a D30.. no hubs.... not spicer joints.. just got aftermarket DPG crap from advance auto.. guess i got a good set of spares huh??

They're really no good as spares if you can't get them on. :)

xjohnnyc said:
They're really no good as spares if you can't get them on. :)

i got the whole thing assembled... just couldnt press the last cap in that last little bit.... if i weld it it will hold well enough to get me off the trail.. just wouldnt expect it to live any period of time...

I don't know what kind of tools you have available, but I've dealt with this before- the fix is to use a chisel bit in an air hammer while the ujoint is under a press load, and knock the yoke out a bit.

Back