• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux. Transmission Cooler Mounting

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Looking for ideas. Just picked up a Hayden transmission cooler and don't like the little plastic retainers. Just looking for ideas on how to hold in on so that it doesn't fall off when I climb over the first rock.

I'm thinking maybe some flat stock and some sort of clamp (probably made out of more flat) that would go over the tubes at the ends maybe?

Thanks,
Sequoia

Be careful clamping over the tubes. That is probably aluminum and the steel straps will rub though those nicely.

Since it doesn't sound like it has mounting flanges try another approach.

Use some narrow strap so the airflow doesn't get blocked much. Then run the straps down in front or in back of the cooler. Get some machine bolts long enough to go through the assembly and some good lock nuts. Then both the cooler through the core and use the plastic washers (may need to drill out slightly) and pads provided with the plastic ties. The washers will spread the load and the pads keep it from slipping around.

I just put the plastic ties in temporarily 4 years ago. :D Check them from time to time though.

zip ties on my old ford van 8 years and my Old International Scout 5 without problem, just mounted mine in fron of the electric fan and wired up through relay and diodes so I can turn in on whenever

I always planned on using some brackets to mount my B&M cooler, but after 3 years of no problems with the plastic ties I'll probably just leave them be. Have worked fine from day one.

If you have the tranny cooler in front of everything (under front grill) do the zip tie things go thru the radiator and condensor or just one of them ?????

Which way do they go in ?

pete

Dont worry Geoff, those zip ties wont break on the trail head. ;)

Just dig up some flat stock, slap it in your vise and bend up some brackets.

I used those plastic zip ties and now I don't have any A/C. I have the B&M cooler and I didn't realize how close the hose clamps were to the condenser. Small hole did it in. I dread replacing it! :rattle:

Get a couple of pieces of flat stock about 2 feet long. Drill hole to mount the cooler to them, and put a 90* bend in each of them, at one end.

Mount the non-bent end to the bulkhead behind the bumper, and the bent end to the radiator support.

Fergie

I ended up going with the plastic ties out of laziness. I mounted both coolers (Transmission and power steering) through both the AC gig as well as the radiator. I relocated the OEM Auxuliary transmission cooler to the drivers side, I deleted the built in cooler in the radiator.

coolers.jpg

Sequoia

You should talk to Eric. You can either look him up on this site or check out his web site where you can get his email address. He runs the same cooler i believe you have and from the pixs on his site it looks like he does some good size trails.

http://www.ericsxj.com/

jeepsrock said:
so other than t hopp has anyone had harm done by using those zip ties ?

My zip ties broke but I cought it early enough before it messed up the condenser. I no longer have that XJ.
My next cooler will be attached with brackets of some sort. I have one on the way and I bought some flat steel stock to make brackets.

I made the mistake of using cheap "plastic" zip ties on mine and they broke within a year. I went to "nylon" zip ties and they've been fine for about 3 years now. Make sure you get "nylon" zip ties. Big difference. The plastic ones pretty much crumbled in my fingers after that year.

ACE said:
I made the mistake of using cheap "plastic" zip ties on mine and they broke within a year. I went to "nylon" zip ties and they've been fine for about 3 years now. Make sure you get "nylon" zip ties. Big difference. The plastic ones pretty much crumbled in my fingers after that year.

What do you get with a B&M supercooler? Plastic or nylon?

I believe nylon is a type of plastic. ACE is probably saying don't use some zip ties you find at a $0.99 store where you get a zillion for a buck. They're probably some cheap grade of plastic that will embrittle with heat and UV rays. I'm pretty sure B&M will give you some quality "nylon" zip ties.

see the problem is i would like to not use those nylon zipties but at the same time i would like to not have to take the front of my jeep off ? Under the bumper wherer the stock mount locations for the aux cooler are a good mounting area but what about the top ?

Anybody have any pics ? The cooler came with zipties and a few pieces of thick metal .

pete

Well i finally finished up...it took a while to figure out what was what, plus the outside heat hasnt helped at all.

THe method i used for attaching everything is pop-rivets. By doing this i didnt have to remove anything but the front bumper and the black L bracket on top of the rad support (on top of first pic).

I bent two top brackets, sprayed them black and slid them in from the side keeping everything in place.
DSCF0160.JPG

The finished product with the hoses going thru the lower whole.

DSCF0162.JPG

DSCF0164.JPG

The attachment into the loop was made into the hose that attatches into the lower rad port or the hose that crosses under the oil pan.

DSCF0168a.JPG

After driving for afew min, i can say that thing gets really hot.lol

Thanks guys
pete

Back