• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 AW4 OD ratio?

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
0.7:1 right?

If I transplant a 4.0/AW4 into a YJ with 35" tires which ratio you think would be best with this vintage AW4 and a brick doing highway speeds?

I'm thinking 5.12. Too deep?

r@m

.75:1 but close enough. I think you'll be good with 4.88s if you drive on the freeway all the time. BUT ive heard of guys complaining they didnt go lower after they installed 4.88s. If i were you i would go with 4.88s.

I would go ahead to 5.38's. Running that setup now and the revs are in the 2800-2900 range at 80mph.

Your right on the OD it's .705:1.

Thanks guys.

Linc, you know off the top of your head if 5.38 is avail for HP44 diffs?

r@m

Root Moose said:
Thanks guys.

Linc, you know off the top of your head if 5.38 is avail for HP44 diffs?

r@m

That's exactly what I'm running. Not ever mfg makes the 5.38's though. Spicer and Yukon do and I think maybe Motive.

Cool beans! Thanks for that tidbit. I had gone looking for 5.38 before (year+ ago) and didn't have much luck at the time. Glad I didn't order my R&Ps then.

r@m

BrettM said:
.705 for 87-90, .75 for 91+

I have an 88 Renix motor and a 94 AW4 with less overdrive, 4.88s and 35s. I wish for deeper gears on the highway. With your deeper overdrive I would definitely get 5.38s. 5.38s are available for a HPD44.
Thanks Brett, that's the exact type of real world experience I was hoping for.

You can do the calcs in a spreadsheet till you are blue in the face but that doesn't mean you'll be happy with th result. At least that was my experience when I used to run 4x4 rice.

T!

r@m

Back