• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC drop and axle shims

GudaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I got my rustys 4.5" kit yesterday and it came with a 1" tc drop and some axle shims(duno the degree). The intructions say nothing about installing the shims, and i've been reading that shims are for people with sye. Can I install both or is it a "one or the other" sorta thing? I've got no cash for a sye but i will eventually get it. I think i read a write up on the install and he had only installed the shims and no tc drop and had no vibes.

You can use both if you need them. The case drop adjust the angle of the X-case down and the shims can be use to adjust the angle of the pinion up or down depending on if you put the fat side forward or back. The angle up of the pinion should be about 2deg. less than the angle down of the Xcase output shaft. When the pinion moves up under load you want both u-joints running at the same angle. You might do this without the X-case drop but your overall angle on your u-joints would be less if you use it and that will help the life of the u-joint.

read here for proper driveline geometry - then decide what you want to do

when I installed my lift, i tried it first with just the SYE and shims still had vibes, so i installed the t-case drop and cured the vibes remember..... ALL XJ'S ARE DIFFERENT....

jeepinandy said:
when I installed my lift, i tried it first with just the SYE and shims still had vibes, so i installed the t-case drop and cured the vibes remember..... ALL XJ'S ARE DIFFERENT....

your shims arent set up right then...

or your new ds came with a blown u-joint...

Back