• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tailpipe clearance problems

TRSCobra

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a '98 XJ with 3 3/4" inches of lift up front (procomp 3" coils and 3/4" spacers) and 4 inches in the rear (rustys 3.5" AAL and tomken 1 1/4" shackles). My exhaust is a custom 2.5" setup that exits in the stock location with a 3" stainless tip.
I've noticed that since I've put the shackles and larger AAL on, this things been hitting against my leaf spring (just the clamp that holds the tailpipe to the hanger.) It makes a big racket. :mad: And I cant move it any farther over the otherway cause of my tow hitch.

Is there any way I can run the exhaust in between the leaf spring and the body and exit at an angle? I don't know if I'll have enough room to clear the pipe at full flex. Has anyone experimented with alternate tailpipe exits before?? :huh:

Been there, done that. I took a torch, heated the pipe betwee the hangar and hitch and squeezed the pipe. It's no longer round but oval and has 1/2" clearance on both sides.

It was a bit tough to squeeze since it was stainless but I got clearance by jacking that corner up which pulled the hangar out of the way.

TRSCobra said:
Has anyone experimented with alternate tailpipe exits before?? :huh:

I just cut mine off before the shackle. works fine for me.

shelbyluvv said:
I just cut mine off before the shackle. works fine for me.

say goodbye to bling and hello to
6521-21.gif

I raided the scrap pile at my local tire and exhaust shop and found a piece of exhaust pipe with a 45* bend that would fit over the tailpipe. Then I cut the tailpipe off just after the rear hanger and clamped the pend on the end to give a side exit tailpipe under the rear fender.

Upon further inspection, my exhaust is starting to rot right where the hanger and the pipe connect. The "spacers" i put in there (3 quarters) :laugh3: to clear the shackle are starting to dig into the pipe. So I had to re tighten it. Come to notice it, thats when it started rattling. And now it just rattles more because my rustys aal's (full-length instead of pro-comp's 15 inch jobs) induce a positive :) arch on my sagged springs. So I'll just get the pipe replaced.

BTW- XJ ranger, why does that sawzall blade have blood on it??

XJ_ranger said:
say goodbye to bling and hello to
6521-21.gif

lol

:)
thats what i thought also

other than that
you could get about 2" of the tubing cut out & have the stainless tip rewelded on to retain the blingyness..

bling.jpg

junkxj said:
How is it that the Sazall can solve all of lifes problems? It must be some sort of magical tool!
Oh, but it is! It can make anything that rattles, shakes, rubs, gets in the way, or just plain annoys you "disappear"!
(and I don't mean just on your rig.... :laugh3: )

Back