• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trannie problems from lift

jcnorman48

NAXJA Forum User
've been researching on these forums for the last month and I'm about to lift my XJ, thanks to everyone for all the information. Going with the RE hybrid 4 from DPGOffroad, SYE and CV drive shaft, and 31x10.5 MTR's.
A friend of mine lifted his XJ a while back, and a month after the lift his transmission went out. I'm not sure which lift it was, but it was super cheap. 3.5 in lift and a lowered t-case. He said the trannie went out because the front bump stops were to short, and the upper control arm was allowed to travel up to far and pinch the hose for transmission fluid. I haven't heard of this sort of thing anywhere in the forums or from anyone else so any information would be appreciated.

the RE/DPGis a good lift. Never heard of the pinched hose thing. They must have dislodged the hose while doing the lift?! I've installed 2 of the RE 3.5" lifts and they are still working well several years later.

jcnorman48 said:
've been researching on these forums for the last month and I'm about to lift my XJ, thanks to everyone for all the information. Going with the RE hybrid 4 from DPGOffroad, SYE and CV drive shaft, and 31x10.5 MTR's.
A friend of mine lifted his XJ a while back, and a month after the lift his transmission went out. I'm not sure which lift it was, but it was super cheap. 3.5 in lift and a lowered t-case. He said the trannie went out because the front bump stops were to short, and the upper control arm was allowed to travel up to far and pinch the hose for transmission fluid. I haven't heard of this sort of thing anywhere in the forums or from anyone else so any information would be appreciated.

well - the transmission cooler lines would be the only things close that i can think of...

and just get the right bumpstops for your application and you wont have any problems...

I've had mine lifted for two years with the RE 3.5" and not a single problem. The control arms don't even come close to the cooling lines. don't see how they could've been pinched unless they were moved from the factory position.

I think his tranny may have been going out in the first place.

hoses must have been moved at some point in the past.
It really just stresses how important it is to test everything after doing a lift. We have a place called "poser rock" that is a big sloped rock which makes a great ramp. Anytime we get a new vehicle out or we modifiy one of ours we run it up the rock with each corner in turn and triple check everything.

my friend has a pretty much totaly stock xj with 31's and cut fenders and his upper arm totally severed his transmission cooling lines after a pretty hard hit. we saw smoke and pulled over. he had lost almost all of his fluid. we repaird it and found some other jeep guys and borrowed some transmission fluid. i had been prerunning my jeep for months before that and i hadn't had that problem, so i went home and checked my jeep out. my xj has 31s, bilsein 5150s up front and bilsein oem replacements in the back and no lift at all. my transmission lines looked like they had just been missed by the upper arm because there was a huge chunk missing from my oil pan and part of the block that the upper arm had been hitting. the reason my transmission lines were spared and my friends weren't was because the little clip holding the lines close to the engine had fallen off on his xj. just out of curiosity i looked at another friends jeep who also prerunns it and he had the same problem with the upper arm beating the heck out of his oil pan. i don't think the lift has anything to with those lines being hit.

Back