• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33x12.50's with 3.07's

Barger

NAXJA Forum User
Well I got the jeep lifted It looks great.
I don't have the gears in it yet. We are going to Camp Jeep next week and I'm out of build time and money for now.
How will it perform off-road with the 3.07's?
Any experiences?
I really wanted to get everything finished before vacation but it just ain't gonna happen.
Thanks
Brian
NAXJA

I believe you will be in 4-low a lot.It probably accelerates like a snail and pulls hills real slow.
Not too many mountains between your house and Camp Jeep, see you there.
Wayne

with the aw-4, 33's should have 4.56 or 4.88 gears

with 5spd, I think 4.56 is the way to go, and I'm figuring this is what you have, given the 3.07's as stated.

I wouldn't run 3.07 with anything bigger than a 31" tire, but that's just me, I like my gears

I bought an MJ with 3.07 gears. It was horrible with 3.07s and 31s. I put in 3.73s thinking I'd drop down to 30" tires, but that hasn't happened yet. It's bearable, but I can't even imagine trying to drive a 5-speed with stock gears and 33" tires.

I hope you've budgeted for a new clutch, 'cause I think you're going to need one ... soon.

It's a very temporary set up I just will not be able to get the 4.56's in time for our trip.
Could I manage a few weeks?
Thanks
Brian:confused:

IMO 3.07s with 30" tires is bad and with 31" tires it down right sucks!
You may be able to stand it in low range if you don't have to do anything really slow and technical. But all I gotta say is stay away from the rocks till you get some 4.56s in there.

Jes

Eagle said:
I can't even imagine trying to drive a 5-speed with stock gears and 33" tires.

HAHA, I did this for about half a year, until I had money and finished my d44 and d30 with 4.56's. I should've just waited for all of it at once. It just flat out sucked, no need for an overdrive tranny there. It actually is bearable on flat roads, but if you're in 4th gear and come up to a slight incline...your going down to at least 2nd.

I too have the 4.0 and 3.07's in my jeep. However, my tires are only 30's. To be honest though, they aren't that bad. I tow a 3500 lb Bronco II with them all the time. With a less torquey engine they would be a lot more of a nightmare though. 33's are only 10% larger in circumference than 30's. This means that your tach will be only about 10% lower than mine at the same speeds.

Just plant the right side of your right foot against the carpet and hold a steady 1/3 throttle or so while you do the rocks. Keep it moving and you'll do fine until you get stopped. Then just do as Eagle subtly suggests and burn up some clutch until you get movin again.

I also am moving to 4.56's ASAP and an 8.8" rear for that matter. But heck, if it is cursing your gears for a few days vs. missing camp jeep, just grin and bear it.

Good luck and use it as you excuse as to why you can't make it up anything!

Back