• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

currie 9" with discs in the mail

steveVA

NAXJA Forum User
will I be able to use my stock brake setup? or will I need a proportioning valve, or diffrent booster?? thanks

So, how many ducats did that bad boy set you back? I looked at those a while back (I had to wipe the drool off my keyboard) and their low end axles cost as much as my whole rig. I am super jealous.

not too bad considering

about $2800 to my door,,i was going to go with a junkyard 8.8, but by the time i bought it, the gears/locker/rebuild kit and had someone install build it (cuz Im scared) ,, i just decided to go with currie,,, they were WAY more resonable than several of the other axle builders,, I was suprised,, I didn't get the high pinion or have it shaved, but i did get them to throw an arb in it,, and disc were only $100 more than drums

are they alloy shafts and such too?

You know I didn't even ask about that,, Im guessing yes,, but I don't know,, either way they are 31 spline axles, and Im sure stronger than an 8.8 and way stronger than my 8.25,, i just looked at my order it says its the currie performance axle package whatever that means,, anyway Im happy and excited,, tired of killing my eng/trans with the 3.55 gears and 33's,, I talked to Rick,, http://www.offroadjeepparts.com/ just click on 9 in. rearends

I didn't have to use a proportioning valve, it braked nicely with the stock set-up. I did have to ditch the ARB after about 2 years. After about a year, I had to replace the O ring on the ARB because it was leaky. After another year it statred to leak again, but when we opened it up we found that I had spun a bearing. Replaced it with a Detroit and it works great! Good Luck.

Yes, the Currie comes with alloys (31 spline is standard). Shoulda done the high pinion though, while you were at it...I have a high pinion 9" and absolutely love it. It's true that if you are going to pay somebody else to build a stock axle piece by piece that just buying a custom axle makes more sense.

To the original question, if you have a '95+ XJ with the dual diaphragm booster you won't need any brake mods besides the conversion - my '97 works like it had four wheel disc from the factory...couldn't be happier (I converted the TSM kit from my 8.25 to the 9" though...just got new rotors and kept the rest of the system intact). If you have an older XJ, you'll probably want to upgrade the rest of the system.

Nay

yeah mines a 94,, I guess I can just get the parts from a junkyard, right??,, mastercylinder and booster,, that all???

I bought my currie 9 inch for 750 to my door. Custom width, 31 splined axles, and the housing. all in all I have about 1000 into my rear axle. I got the disc brakes off of a ford 8.8. Direct bolt on, and I got my third member from my garage from a previous project geared to 5.13's and a full spool. Really cheap and inexpensive way to go for a custom axle. Looks great too...

Back