• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

modify bumper or build new one?

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have this bumper on my jeep right now. When I bought it a couple years ago I was thinking about recovery. Now that I have been hanging out on here for a while I know I need something stronger if I'm gonna be pulling on it.

I have two options:

1. Modify this bumper with new brackets and reinforce it so I can put d-ring shackles on it. I don't know if this is possible to do right. So for all you fabricators, can this be done?

2. My dad has some c-channel laying around at work, I believe its 1/4" but not sure. I would use that with the rigidco mounting brackets and place the d-rings so they are right around where the brackets are and reinforce it some more by welding some angle iron from the back of the c-channel to the mounting brackets.

let me know what you think. I'm gonna try to get whatever I end up doing done in the next month or so.

Dean

xjfrnt06.jpg

Do you have the reciever like this one? If so, I don't think you would need anything more. How does it bolt up? Do you have an SBS?

I do not have the reciever like that picture. When I ordered I asked the guy about it and he said he just welded that onto his friends rig because he has a hard time backing his boat into the water. He told me he wouldnt trust it for anything heavy.

It just bolts up using the stock 3 bolts. I am sure I could order the rigidco mounts to weld on but how would I put d-rings on it and reinforce it enough?

I emailed protofab to see if they could tell me what the wall thickness is on the tubing but I never got a response.

Whats an SBS?

Dean

JKS Steering Box Braces, They weld onto both sides of the front frame. If you did go with them, you would still have modify the bumper mounts for they would add another 1/4" on each side. I feel with the SBS, the three stock mount holes are more than adequate for a bumer mount.

I would say, if the tube is at least .120 wall I think welding in a reciever mount in the center would be strong enough as a tow point. Add some gussets to the reciever tube.

I do not have a steering box brace. Using longer brackets using the bolts for the steering box would have the same effect though right?

For the passenger side brackets I would need to make longer ones and use self tappers into the unibody?

I am hoping that they atleast used .120 wall but I am not a fabricator and wasn't really sure if that would be thick enough. My father does a lot of fabrication and welding but has never built nor thought out how to build a bumper for a unibody truck and since its a daily driver he didnt want to build something overkill that wouldnt crush like its supposed if I ever got into an accident. So pretty much I guess Im trying to make the strongest bumper to tug on while still keeping in mind that I drive it everywhere and want the bumper to crush before the unibody frame.

thanks for the help on this.

Dean

Well that's why I'm pointing you to the SBS braces. You can make them yourself, it would take more effort. With SBS you would not only have a a stronger mount point but also have a stronger mounting of your steering box. Also self tapers are going to do much for you. In time they wallow out and just tear up the sheetmetal. The OEM mount has this aluminum spacer, the SBS eliminates this weak link.

I was a little confused about what exactly the "SBS" was, but I just went to the JKS website and understand what youre talking about. Now that I've seen it, it seems like a good set up, all I gotta do is get some cash together and order those. I don't think adding in the reciever and gussetting it should be that big of a deal. I know theres couple old but not rotted hitches behind the garage I work at that I can cut up and my dads got plenty of steel and angle iron to gusset it.

Thanks a lot for the help, sorry I'm a little slow.

By the way, is that naxjas own Mark Hinkley that designed those?

Dean

DDCxj said:
I was a little confused about what exactly the "SBS" was, but I just went to the JKS website and understand what youre talking about. Now that I've seen it, it seems like a good set up, all I gotta do is get some cash together and order those. I don't think adding in the reciever and gussetting it should be that big of a deal. I know theres couple old but not rotted hitches behind the garage I work at that I can cut up and my dads got plenty of steel and angle iron to gusset it.

Thanks a lot for the help, sorry I'm a little slow.

By the way, is that naxjas own Mark Hinkley that designed those?

Dean

Yup, now he's retarded, oh I mean retired in TX. :D

Back