• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaking tranny?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Ok, I'm trying to catch that slow leak and I'm having a hard time.....
I know some will say... XJ's self lubricate... but.... I'd like to know what I have to keep refilling.

Problem:
oil coming down the side of the tranny onto the plate on which the tranny mount sits. I have cleaned it off couple days ago and its already got a small driblle on it again.
I know that:
- It's not tcase becuase it's not red.
- I don't think it's the engine unless it's coming on top of the tranny from the rear of the engine and curves down to the passenger side at the rear.
- Can't really be the tranny beacuse I haven't replaced it for a while and I just checked it couple days ago (when I saw the leak first time) and it's nicely topped off....
- That oil looks pretty darn clean (more like what's in my tranny then the engine).

What I got..... AX15 with NP231 with 4.0 up front all sitting in a 98XJ....

Any ideas anyone? I don't really relish the idea of removing the console to get to that inspection plate as I got couple BIG house projects coming up and that console is a major BEAR to move..

Kejtar

hey welcome to the club, i have been working on this problem for weeks

I have/had the same-

While on a long hard pull climbing 5000 feet altitude on a hot day that really heated the AX-15 in my '98, I smelled trans lube for the first time ever. Was the first leak on anything (except a seep from the GDI rad i have since replaced with an OEM top quality twin core aluminum) on the Jeep. Seemed to be from the case split right at the trans cross member. No way was i going to pull all that down and pull apart just to re-silicone for a such a small leak!! I did something really quite stupid- took JB weld putty and mashed it over the seam at the bottom of the trans. Believe it or not has stopped leaking completely for 15k miles!! I would never recomend anything so dumb but it seems to have worked!!

hmmm something to consider..... I might have to do some more tracking of that leak and jb weld it myself.

On the other hand though... any other suggestions/ideas anyone?

Kejtar

Back