• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rancho Vs. Old Man Emu

rancho springs are very stiff.

OME may have the best springs around... Its just too bad youi can't get one to provide more than 3" of lift.:(

After having had both...OME shocks kick Rancho's in the @ss.

OME has got to be the best 4wd systems out there...poppabear is right, it's a shame that they don't offer a system that lifts more than 2.5"

Matt

Would I be able to fit 31x10.50 TRXUS or 31x9.50 TSL radials on my 86 using the stiffest OME kit without rubbage? Or will I need taller shackles and BB's to make them fit? I will want to mount the tires on the 15x7 GC Canyon rims I'm running now (5 5/16" BS)
Mike B.

You know I don't know the answer to that...but give the guys at rocky road outfitters a call and see, 888-801-7271. I know they run the OME set up on all their XJ's, but what size tire they fit under it I don't know. But still they should be able to tell you a yes or no, and if not on that set up how to achieve it with the OME.

Matt

You know I think I spoke too soon. According to their website they are running 31's on OEM springs with a taller shackel in the rear and spacers up front...I'd still give them a call to get the full scoop.

Matt

1986xj said:
Would I be able to fit 31x10.50 TRXUS or 31x9.50 TSL radials on my 86 using the stiffest OME kit without rubbage? Or will I need taller shackles and BB's to make them fit? I will want to mount the tires on the 15x7 GC Canyon rims I'm running now (5 5/16" BS)
Mike B.

ZJ rims should have the same backspacing as XJ rims. According to Ed Stevens' web site, you can run 31x10.50/15s on OEM rims on a stock XJ (no lift) with no alterations other than shimming the rear bump stops or installing the tallest bump stops offered by Jeep for the XJ/MJ.

Thanks guys... looks like the OME lift should be just fine for what I want then. My main goal is a bit more ground clearance for deep snow and badly rutted fire roads, while keeping decent ride qaulity on the highway. When I "really go wheelin" I take the CJ anyways.
Thanks again,
Mike B.

poppabear said:
rancho springs are very stiff.

OME may have the best springs around... Its just too bad youi can't get one to provide more than 3" of lift.:(

R1.JPG

Out back I'm running the OME JC1A and the JCXL with a 1.5" Tera Shackle for a total of 5.75" of lift....but Poppa is right, by springs alone you're looking at 3" max.

Rancho vs OME is no contest IMHO. The JCXL rear leaf adds 20% to the rate of the JC1A pack...VERY nice ride at nearly 6" of lift!

RJ

What's the rate of the JC1A by itself, w/o the AAL?

OME is pretty tight lipped about that :D I can give you spring Stack height, number of leaves and primary free camber...but no spring rate. They only give the spec on the JCXL leaf in Application guide.

You can see here how the JCXL runs the entire length of the Main leaf
JCXL.JPG

it's notched on the forward end to fit in the frame hanger.

It's designed to increase load carrying capacity (which is why I wanted it) and not so much as a means to lift.

TOZOR,
Did you do put everything on at once or did you do it in steps? Did the JC1A net 3" by itself?
Mike B.

Back