• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone used the SURCO roof racks?

RockyTop

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if anyone has used the SURCO gutter mount roof racks before? If so, have you had any problems? How stable is it? What about the spare tire mount? You see where I am going here? Thanks.

Ive had it for about 2 years now. I was bringin back some 4x8 sheets of plywood (dumb me) and when i got home the front section of the rack popped out of the rest of the rack a few inches and was bending down. Since you put it together in sections and pieces i put screws where all the sections met and now its pretty strong. The pieces that run across the buttom are flimsy but get the job done. I wouldnt buy surco, but im betting there are others who have had no problems with em. If i were to buy one i would get a conferr. good luck. Oh and i got the gutter mounts that make it a lot stronger also.

Sorry, i got carried away. The gutter mounts are very stable, i have never had a problem with them. The only thing i did wrong was tighten the nut down too much and now 4 parts of my rain gutter is bent up and crap.

I picked one up used three years ago. still hangin' on. mine came with the mounts that bolted to the factory roof rack rails. it carries my 31" spare with the surco holder. my axe and shovel on the drivers side with the surco holder. and my 42" hi-lift on the inside with custom mounts. also a five gallon jerry can of fuel, a propane tank in a plastic milk carton and a weber portable bbq.

I have the 50x60(or 45 wide?), with spare, and highlift up there. Also camping gear when we go (not often enough) I have gutter mounts, I cut em down about an inch, then the factory rails bent to be flat help support it. (my front factory bar is now my light bar)

I love it as far as roof racks go, I also think it adds the most "man that looks very tuff and baja/jungle" to the jeep, I also hate wheeling with it, I am lookin up at stuff for it to catch on as much as I am looking down at the trail. Have yet to rip it off..... yet. Depends where ya wheel. I kinda regret having it, but its a cheap place to throw the spare, and nice havin the muddy jack up there. I guess I don't regret it... well in the woods I do. Can ya see how this goes? necesary evil.

Here are some pics (no close ups really, just posers)
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMmLJy4atXIA

good luck,
Jason

wascobi said:
.... it carries my 31" spare with the surco holder. my axe and shovel on the drivers side with the surco holder. and my 42" hi-lift on the inside with custom mounts. also a five gallon jerry can of fuel, a propane tank in a plastic milk carton and a weber portable bbq.

Highly Recommended by the Beverly Hillbillys :farmer: :D

Don't expect the rack to last for more than a couple of years. Mine is basically falling apart. I guess it's worth the price, but I wish I had paid a little more for another brand.

Jeff

It is a lightweight rack, but it suits me fine.

The mounts that go to the stock rails are a waste of time, but the gutter mounts are OK. I modified mine to sit close to the roof.

If anybody has trashed their rack and still has the cross bars and gutter mounts I'd love to add an extra one to mine for more rigidity.

I also added "limb lifters" to the front to keep branches from getting caught under it.

build your own- satisfaction guaranteed!!
if I had one of those racks I wouldn't be able to find my own jeep outside the grocery store :dunno:

I called and got prices for the factory rail mount and was going to build my own rack and use those mounts.

I am not hauling anything heavy...maybe luggage or the spare, just really for looks right now.

JC95

The surco part# is J100 and cost is $50.00 if anyone was wondering.

Last edited:
I use mine for everything. I'm in the military and the rack hauls duffel bags, rucksacks, trash, wood, parts, and boxes. And especially other peoples stuff. I've bent mine driving under things that are to low. All I did is unscrew the bent part and bent it back. A little bit of hardware you could make it sturdy. (I think). I couldn’t beat the price. Not everyone has the means to make there own. Oh yeah, the tire carrier is nice and all untill you have to take the 33" spare off.

Ive had one 2 years. I have a 31 on the roof. It is holding up quite well. I have the mount that bolts to the factory roof rack. It sucks. The mounting is square off the rack and the roof has a slight curve to it. It was pulling the roof rack rails off the roof. I had to take down the headliner and nut and bolt the rails down. I do love the rack, it comes in handy.

yeah I know that not everyone has the means to make a rack, but I still advocate my system of justification:
cheap rack= $300+, shipping$$?, hardware to mate it to your vehicle, EXPENSIVE hi-lift jack mounts, expensive fairing, probably too thin to reasonably repair with welder (just get UGLY!)
cheap used 110v mig or stick welder= $150+, grinder $50+, metal prices are expensive now but that is reflected in all prefab products anyway, learning to weld is fun and easy and YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!, making your own stuff is like taking AP Jeep Builder/owner classes (as opposed to bolt on owners or people who can afford to pay fab shops and mechanics) I am not trying to dis on anyone here but the sooner you break down and rent or buy or borrow a welder and learn the sooner you can fulfill your jeep dreams! you might be thinking that "down the road I want to build my own bumper" but if you cop out on the roof rack then you will end up posting in that other thread about which prefab bumper is best.... which might make your jeep recognizable in your hometowns grocery store parking lot but it'll be lost for sure outside wendys in moab:) time for some initiative, eh? this system of justification usually gets me a lot of mileage with the wife and the jeep- something breaks down and the mechanic would charge $750, so I take that $750 and buy the parts that are needed and then with the rest of the money I can either buy some new toys (read tools and "fun" jeep parts) or have just saved $400. then I have increased my skill level, I have increased my jeep knowledge, my teeth are whiter, my hair more lustrous, my wife is more.... ok I'll stop there. SORRY FOR MY KICK IN THE PANTS TIRADE I just know too many people who skootch through life always wanting to take initiative and risks but just never get around to it.
BTW Sappersly-- I thought that military bases had mad resources? my friend in the navy has access to awesome shops after hours and even real paint booths if he signs up (maybe a fee too?)

wascobi said:
I picked one up used three years ago. still hangin' on. mine came with the mounts that bolted to the factory roof rack rails. it carries my 31" spare with the surco holder. my axe and shovel on the drivers side with the surco holder. and my 42" hi-lift on the inside with custom mounts. also a five gallon jerry can of fuel, a propane tank in a plastic milk carton and a weber portable bbq.

pics of said rack?

pbandj said:
BTW Sappersly-- I thought that military bases had mad resources? my friend in the navy has access to awesome shops after hours and even real paint booths if he signs up (maybe a fee too?)

2 things:
1. Military resources are for military equipment.
2. Using Military resources on POV's (privately owned vehicles) is fraud, waste, and abuse.

So you saying I should use civilians tax dollars to work on my Jeep.

Unless you mean the craft shop then that's ok. Except they do the welding and you get to watch and pay the bill.

Old Surco here:
dive.jpg

Good for looks, but wasn't the quality I wanted.

New, home built rack here:
rack2.jpg

Sturdy, I can sleep on it, and less expensive than the Surco was, granted I already has the tools to make it.

Fergie

Back