• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit Truetrac Locker

xjndmud

NAXJA Forum User
:rolleyes: im thinking about putting a detroit truetrac locker in my rear (chrys 8.25) how hard is it to put in and is there anywhere i can get one cheaper than $339.99, cause thats as cheap as i can find.

Keep looking Zig! Why don't you get a lock right? Cheap and easy to install! Hell you may have the 4.0 but you only have 31' 11.50's!

Mind if I jump in here?

Is there more than one type of detroit locker (not truetrac, not electrac). I've seen the softlocker. Is this the same as the regular detroit locker?

Also how does the street manners of the detroit compare to those of the no-slip and the lockright? Front and rear? I drive 120+ miles a day. I know it is stronger.

Thx

basalt51 said:
Mind if I jump in here?

Is there more than one type of detroit locker (not truetrac, not electrac). I've seen the softlocker. Is this the same as the regular detroit locker?

Also how does the street manners of the detroit compare to those of the no-slip and the lockright? Front and rear? I drive 120+ miles a day. I know it is stronger.

Thx

www.tractech.com

What kind of driving is that 120 miles/day? If it's mostly highway (or at least straight), you won't notice a locker. If it's urban or involves lots of corners, you might be happier with a limited slip if you don't get into hard-core off-roading. I run OEM Trac-Loks in my XJs and I put a Truetrac in my MJ. That's all I need -- especially the Truetrac.

Ok - so maybe I haven't heard of the detroit softlocker as there isn't one listed at the Tractech website.

So let me see if I get this right:

1) Detroit Locker/NoSpin = Legendary Detroit/bulletproof

2) EZlocker = Lockright (Powertrax)

3) Detroit Gearless Locker = NoSlip (Powertrax)

So is the Nospin the most noticible and the no slip/gearless the least?

I'm thinking of just putting a lockright (cheapest correct?) in the rear until I can afford to regear and get an arb or two.

Most of my commute is freeway or on construction sites.

Thanks all - xjndmud - hope this is helping you out too :)

may have to go with the cheaper lock-right, cause i might get a new surfboard soon, glen how long does it take to put in, also in the front i want something that isnt engaged all the time, cause of all the non offroad (on road) driving that i do. glen i got stuck yesterday.

The "softlocker" is the same thing as the No Spin - it is just the latest model and designed to be less harsh engaging and disengaging. I've run both, and the Detroit requires a lot of driver behavior modification around town or it will bang around a lot. Basically, if you like to stomp on it around town, you'll probably hate any automatic locker. If you want a limited slip, go Auburn for the 8.25. Much stronger than a True Trac.

As said above, out on the highway there is no difference, even on curvy backcountry highways.

Problem with the lockright in the 8.25 is the relatively weak stock carrier if you have big tires and a lead foot, but this is definitely the most bang for your buck.

Nay

OOps I spent so much time on the search page that I thought I was in the regular forum. My bad didn't mean to offend anyone.

devildog0 said:
OOps I spent so much time on the search page that I thought I was in the regular forum. My bad didn't mean to offend anyone.
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

Back