• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with WJ conversion and Super 30 kit

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
I recently picked up a HP 30 with Super 30 kit and WJ conversion for a pretty good price. I have got it all in and everything seemed to be going as planned until I put the front end on jackstands to check the balljoints. What I found was that the balljoints seem to be fine but I still have ~1/4"+ of horizontal movement of the rotor/caliper on the pass. side. After a bunch of reading I think the prob. is that the required JKS spacers were never installed on the knuckle. According to the ORGS WJ conversion write up two of the spacers are required but the drivers side seems fine. It also appears that the spacers for the calipers are not in place. Does this sound like the source of my problem or is there something else that people see that is compounding the problem. Also the pass. axle has superior stamped in it but the driver side just has a bunch of numbers and letters, is this a factory axle meaning that I dont have a 30 spline ARB. Hope this makes sense, ANY help is much appreciated.

Pass side
1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

3.jpg

8.jpg

You say that you have 'horizontal' movement of the rotor, are you holding the rotor at 3 & 9 to check for movement? If this is the case, it sounds like a bad TRE.
To check balljoints you need to hold the rotor at 6 & 12.
You should have a 1/4" (JKS) spacer welded to the outside of both knuckles, do you?
The caliper spacers are simply washers inserted between the caliper mounting brackets & the knuckle. With your setup (unit bearings), it's usually necessary to space the claliper out a little in order to center it on the rotor.

Don't know about the axles. I'd pull one & count the splines.

Paul

p.s. WJ knuckles have different lower balljoints than XJ knuckles, but this would not cause your problem.

Paul S said:
You say that you have 'horizontal' movement of the rotor, are you holding the rotor at 3 & 9 to check for movement? If this is the case, it sounds like a bad TRE.
To check balljoints you need to hold the rotor at 6 & 12.
You should have a 1/4" (JKS) spacer welded to the outside of both knuckles, do you?
The caliper spacers are simply washers inserted between the caliper mounting brackets & the knuckle. With your setup (unit bearings), it's usually necessary to space the claliper out a little in order to center it on the rotor.

Don't know about the axles. I'd pull one & count the splines.

Paul

p.s. WJ knuckles have different lower balljoints than XJ knuckles, but this would not cause your problem.

When I say horizontal i mean 6 and 12 and my steering is all heims. I cant tell if I have the spacers or not. I dont have a big enough socket to pull the big nut off the rotor and I dont want to drive it, need to wait for girl to get off work. I thought that the spacer was supposed to be on the inside of the knuckle to fill the gap on the pass. side (see pic). the rotor is not perfectly centered which I plan to fix but I need to figure out where this slop is coming from, could it be the hub or bearing. Im still learning so keep that in mind.

Yup. I will be calling "him" in a bit. He has been very helpful and hopefully he can help me figure this out. Do you know anything about it that I should know.

The spacers go on the outside of the knuckles (both knuckles). They're needed to center the ujoints (in relation to the balljoints), & to genreally make everything fit (which is to say that it's been a long time since I did mine & I don't remember all the details). Looking at you pictures, I'd say that you have the spacers, as your ujoints do look centered, but I don't know if 1/4" would be that visible.
The problem could be your unit bearing, but it would have to be pretty shot to allow that much movement.
You need to get that 36mm socket & start tearing things aprat. Or, if you have a 13mm socket you could pull the 3 spindle bolts & remove the entire assemble as one, this would actually kill 2 birds with one stone.

Paul

nah, I don't know anything about it, other than I remember seeing "him" post the axle along with some other stuff (D44 rear, 37's, beadlocks) for sale on some of the forums (including mine). I'd actually considered picking up the axles, just didn't have the funds to spare. Dang good deal though, even if it might need some fixing or something (retail on the Super30ARB is more than they were asking for the whole axle).

Well I know that the axle was wheeled preeeeetty hard so the unit bearings could be the issue. Does the assembly go rotor bearing knuckle, if so the spacer could be the issue. Again I dont know much about the D30. Im thinking the spacer could be the sole issue, I just need the girl to show up so I can go get the socket etc.

Jeepin Jason said:
nah, I don't know anything about it, other than I remember seeing "him" post the axle along with some other stuff (D44 rear, 37's, beadlocks) for sale on some of the forums (including mine). I'd actually considered picking up the axles, just didn't have the funds to spare. Dang good deal though, even if it might need some fixing or something (retail on the Super30ARB is more than they were asking for the whole axle).

Ya Im really happy with the deal I got but dont want to sink toooo much more into it at the moment.

I spoke with the previous owner last night and he said that when he put the axle together he found unit bearings from a perticular year XJ/TJ that were actually 1/4" taller making the ORGS spacer unnecessary. Does this sound right or possible. I will hopefully be able to tear into it later today to see with my own eyes.

wannabe said:
I spoke with the previous owner last night and he said that when he put the axle together he found unit bearings from a perticular year XJ/TJ that were actually 1/4" taller making the ORGS spacer unnecessary. Does this sound right or possible. I will hopefully be able to tear into it later today to see with my own eyes.

That doesn't sound right. I didn't use unit bearings when I did mine so I don't know the exact details, but I'm pretty sure you need to use late model (2000/2001) unit bearings no matter what. The late model unit bearings are a little taller, but you sill need the JKS spacers.
Good luck,

Paul

Back