• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Traction 6" Kit Noisey??

1toughxj

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my Full Traction Kit installed as well and wondered if anyone considers the kit to be noisey. Going down the road you can hear clunking coming from the control arms. I double checked all the arms and everything is tight and I don't feel any play in any of the joints. I talked to Full-Traction and they said that I am hearing the heim's. Can anyone confirm this?? Or am i missing something?? It's annoying the heck out of me.

You'll get use to it its a Jeep.

the hiems in eliminating the bushings that you used to have there create a hard mount that does not give - and therefore translates all the motion of the suspention into the body - causing a "clunk" from the very small slop in the heim...

if this is the clunk that you are describing - that is why many people choose not to run the Skyjacker and FT suspention components...

You cut off the old link mounts, right?

If you are talking about the lower arm frame mounts, I haven't cut them off yet. Which isn't an issue because I haven't taken it offroad yet.

The lower arms only have heims on the axle side with johnny joints on the frame side, I am just wondering if I could replace the heims with johnny joints? I noticed Curry sales just the joints.

Just curious. How much was the kit? Is it front and rear? And what did it come with?

I've heard that about heims. That's why some companies choose to use the factory rubber bushings on at least one end of the control arms.

I have the 6" FT LA kit on my 99 and I can't say it's overly noisy. In fact for me, it's quieter than the 4.5 RE I had on a 01 I had years ago.

Offroad, now that is when all the fun noises start! Brong! PING! CLUNK! Just the lift reacting to the terrain and what not.

Dirk Pitt said:
You cut off the old link mounts, right?

I wonder why you'd ask that!!?? :laugh3:

I need some new cut off wheels cuz that metal is taking a while to cut and do a clean job of it. It did fine at Haspin/Rockport while they were there, but when I get some new cutting discs, they are goners.

I've heard heims are not the best to use, but there's a lot of them out there. It seems for just about any type of control arm a rubber bushing is recommended for one end. But hey, I'm just a newbie to lifting an XJ and just passing along what I've heard. Also, I'd be interested in checking out your Jeep sometime since I'm in Tempe and have been looking into the FT LA kit.

corbinafly said:
Just curious. How much was the kit? Is it front and rear? And what did it come with?

I've heard that about heims. That's why some companies choose to use the factory rubber bushings on at least one end of the control arms.

I have the same kit and it comes with long arms for the front and new track bar and a cross brace, the rear has new leafs. 7 leaf. i haven't driven it yet but Im getting ready to install my fox shocks. the kit w/out shocks was about 1500 buck at ORW.
-gatlan

to make it driveable you have to install the SYE and a new rear drive shaft and shocks

i think it will do awsome off-road.

If anyone wants to check it out installed.
My name is Gatlan and my # is (760) 525 7700
Im in Bonsall, California
its near fallbrook and oceanside

Last edited:
JEEPSPEEDRCR said:
I have the same kit and it comes with long arms for the front and new track bar and a cross brace, the rear has new leafs. 7 leaf. i haven't driven it yet but Im getting ready to install my fox shocks. the kit w/out shocks was about 1500 buck at ORW.
-gatlan

Thanks for the reply. Did you by any chance take pictures that you can post? I'm mostly interested in the control arm brackets and cross brace. I'd like to see how they attach to the vehicle to get an idea of how sturdy the install would be. Just trying to do as much research as possible before I decide on which kit I'd like to go with.

Please let us know how the ride quality is. Do you by any chance know what the spring rates are for the coils and leafs?

corbinafly said:
Thanks for the reply. Did you by any chance take pictures that you can post? I'm mostly interested in the control arm brackets and cross brace. I'd like to see how they attach to the vehicle to get an idea of how sturdy the install would be. Just trying to do as much research as possible before I decide on which kit I'd like to go with.

Please let us know how the ride quality is. Do you by any chance know what the spring rates are for the coils and leafs?

I DON'T HAVE ANY PICS OF THE LIFT, BUT I KNOW THAT IT IS VERY STRONG AND CAN WITHSTAND A LOT OF ABUSE. I PLAN ON DRIVING IN THE DESERT AND USING IT AS A PRERUNNER, AND NOT FOR ROCKCRAWLING. I KNOW THAT IT WILL BE AWSOME IN THE DESERT. I ALSO HAVE SEEN GREAT PICTURES OF THE FLEX AND ARTICULATION IT HAS FOR ROCKCRAWLING.

WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED?
YOU CAN COME AND SEE IT IF YOU LIKE,
E-MAIL ME @ [email protected]

No issues here with the Full-Traction 6" LA kit.......its been on the rig for just about a year now....i had to ditch that POS RE 5.5" so called Extream Duty joke of a kit.

I have no issues with my Full-Traction kit either.

zzyzx said:
No issues here with the Full-Traction 6" LA kit.......its been on the rig for just about a year now....i had to ditch that POS RE 5.5" so called Extream Duty joke of a kit.

How's the ride quality compared to your old RE kit?

And do you live on Zzyzx????? :laugh3:

tsgolo said:
What didn't you like about the RE 5.5"? I've got their 3.5" and you can hear the joints clunk often.

Radius Arms are a JOKE! Ive bent 3 track bars, snapped a track bar bracket & the reason i say raidus arms are a joke is .....ive had to weld my lower & upper control arm mounts at the axle way to many times to count....all caused by a raidus arm!!!!!! As for the joints making noise.......any lift kit will make noise...any!

corbinafly said:
How's the ride quality compared to your old RE kit?

And do you live on Zzyzx????? :laugh3:

My rig rides like a caddy now....few noises yes.....but i dont look for a quiet ride when i go larger then a 3.5" lift on a XJ so its a non issue to me.

As for the name...nope i just know im on my way to Vegas when i see the sign that says Zzyzx.......good times had in LV.....nightlife & wheelin all in one.

Back