• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj Dana 44

rock rash

NAXJA Forum User
Please move this thread if needed

I did search but could not find a price for a 44 with rear disks and 4.10s so dont flame!!! :D

I have the opportunity to buy a dana 44 out of an xj. it has zj rear disks, a HD cover and is ready to bolt in with 4.10 gears (which is what i have). The only thing is he want $600! The going price around me seems to be $350 for a junk one. He said he will take offers. I was wondering what this might be worth. Please help me out. this would be for mild offroading. I will be going to 33s soon hopefully and want to get rid of my 27 spline chrys 8.25. This is mainly a dd and if i ever go to 35s and turn it into a project, ill go with a 9" and d44. But that is a ways off (as i am only in highschool and this is my only vehicle) Thanks again for the info!

I've seen them go for $500 without the improvements that one has. But I think your $600 could be spent more wisely if you are ultimately gonna build up bigger anyway.

red91inWA said:
I'd probably hit him at $500.00. Not bad though...thats the gearing I'd want, AND hes done the disk conv.
Im just hoping i can round up that sort of money soon. I need a job!!! Anyone want to make a donation to the "HELP ME GET A DANA 44 REAR AXLE FUND"?:D

Lawn Cher' said:
I've seen them go for $500 without the improvements that one has. But I think your $600 could be spent more wisely if you are ultimately gonna build up bigger anyway.
That is a long ways down the road, and i dont even know if i will build this one, or buy a rolled one and chop it and go from there.

rock rash said:
Im just hoping i can round up that sort of money soon. I need a job!!! Anyone want to make a donation to the "HELP ME GET A DANA 44 REAR AXLE FUND"?:D

SURE. Start up cost for 2 Jewish guys is about....What Mark ?.... $1200.00 ?

That isn't a bad price at all!!! Considering it is already geared to what you need and has the brake conversion already done. Even if you got the stock axle at even $200, you're still gonna spend probably atleast $300 on gears and install and atleast $300+ on doing a disc brake conversion, plus don't forget to add in your time if you're doing it yourself. So you'll definitely come out ahead if you buy the one that's already setup the way you need it.

Good luck...

Thanks for the input, when i get home im going to start organizing financial situations and maybe ask for a loan from the bank (of mom and dad:laugh3: ). I am still paying off a loan for gears in the firstplace. Hopefully i can scrounge it up!

i have a money tree in my backyard, thats why i'm never broke.... lol some say money pit, some say poor investment, but whats life without something you enjoy. get the 44, its a decent price

shimmy said:
i have a money tree in my backyard, thats why i'm never broke.... lol some say money pit, some say poor investment, but whats life without something you enjoy. get the 44, its a decent price

Cant be. There aren't any trees left in seattle. You have to go to North Bend, or Gold Bar.

for a bolt in axle?

Yes...

now - depending on how you value your time - that is worth it...

my rear axle swap has become somewhat of a headache... though it is coming along...

now - i am a fan of building everything - so i know exactly how it works...

Last edited:
Currently at this time, i am unable to start a buil up of a 9" and d44 even if i wanted to. Lack of space, time, money and knowledge. Something that could bolt right in would be the best. Then i could learn from the chrys 8.25 when i take it out. If i can get the money together, i will buy this axles, but that is alot of money for someone who does not have a job right now, and my parents denied my loan application:laugh3:

though - the strength difference between the 8.25 and the d44 is not that much...

how much would new shafts and a carrier cost?

i bet that if you bought a detroit and new 29 spline shafts, you would end up cheaper than this axle and have about the same axle (minus discs)...

and you could fab your own disc setup as things move along...

an open carrier for the 8.25 is cheap... people selling them in the FS forum all the time...

Like the man said, if that ratio is what you are looking for, that is a decent price. I've seen them go for that much with the drum brakes.

old_man said:
Like the man said, if that ratio is what you are looking for, that is a decent price. I've seen them go for that much with the drum brakes.
Have you ever dealt with JLOPES on co4x4?

rock rash said:
Anyone want to make a donation to the "HELP ME GET A DANA 44 REAR AXLE FUND"?:D

Sorry, all my money goes to the "Gotta Buy Diapers For Kids and Nice Things For My Wife Before XJ Parts Fund" :dunno:
Don't worry, you'll understand someday soon. :rattle: :smoker: :banghead:

rock rash said:
yeah i also have a "GOTTA BUY NICE THINGS FOR THE GIRLFRIEND FUND":mad:

my spending $$$ this month went to the "Buy the ex-soldier and BOD director nominee a steak" fund...

XJ_ranger said:
my spending $$$ this month went to the "Buy the ex-soldier and BOD director nominee a steak" fund...

Yeah, and as it turns out Pudgie, er Fergie, wasn't a starving Armenian afterall. We've been had. :flipoff:

Back