• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap mania...please help!!!!

dan f.

NAXJA Forum User
hello,

my 89 4.0 just bit the dust and its time to replace, here are my options. any opinions any crazy ideas would be appreciated.

1. simply replace with another plain-jane 4.0

2.get a rebuilt 4.0, but build it up with cam, head work, headers, etc.

3.replace with a 302 and spend all my graduation money on adapters and what not.

please keep in mind i'm in ca, so i have to please the smog nazis.
thanks a lot for the help. this forum is a constant lifesaver.
dan f.

None of us can possibly answer this for you. The three choices you list, accidently or intentionally, seem to be listed in ascending order by cost. How much do you want to spend? A good rebuild to stock specs should run about $2000 to $2500 -- not including the labor to pull the engine and bolt in the "new" one. A rebuild with some speed parts will up the ante some, because speed parts cost more, and because after you get it fired up it won't run right and you'll spend more money on fine-tuning -- such as larger injectors, etc.

A V-8 conversion -- check out Advance Adapters web site to see what's available and how much it'll cost.

The 4.0L is a great engine, delivers adequate power, and unless you screw it up also delivers reasonable economy. Personally, I'd go with a stock rebuild, or maybe toss in an RV cam for a bit more torque.

Well I have looked into the 302 Ford swap. It is doable and expensive. There are not a lot af adapters available out there. Basically you would have to adapt an aod or c-4 or c-6 to the 231. Those adapters alone can run 700-800. My idea was to drop a bronco 88-96 drivetrain in it. The Bronco has about a 98" wheelbase by the way. Those years have mostly the AOD and a BW transfercase but there are no linkages to run for the T/C. The tranny has B & M shifters available too. Some do not like the BW T/C that is electric but I like the idea of running some wires than fabricating shift linkage. JMHO and My .02!

Eagle's on the money IMO. Have your rebuilder throw in a mild cam, I prefer an RV cam for the torque down low, but you can get them to up the HP as well and you'll have a very reliable engine with a little more oomph for very little extra cash. In the future you can go with a header and a cat back like I did to get even more power. I've got 135K miles on my reman'd engine that I put a RV cam in and it is still running great.

S & K Rebuilt Engines

I have had mine in for over 6,000 miles now, didn't cost that much. it was shipped to my door by truck for 1450.00. That includes all the gaskets and what not. 7yr/70,000mile warrenty.

http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com
-look under Jeep, and find the year.

this is the link to their site, check out. It's not that hard to pull a motor and put one back in, just take the time to mark everything, and follow a Haynes book. You would just need to rent a engine hoist.

thanks guys,
i can do the work myself (pulling and installing the engine, some work on the engine itself), i just didn't feel confident with the entire rebuild myself. i pretty much scrapped the 302 idea, and think i'll go with the stock rebuild and RV cam. what cam would you guys recommend and are there any other things to add or consider while i'm at it? thanks again for the help.
dan f.

Back