• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yo rockrash!!!!!!

Dirt

NAXJA Forum User
how do i get a cv shaft how much is it. I know im getting into a money pit. I've got prices on everything from rustys offroad. but do i have to get a tom woods or is there a cheaper method. Also how much is a ready to install cv shaft? thanks. DIRT

go with Tom woods. Makes a great shaft. around 250 i believe but correct me if im wrong. You have to have the SYE kit in order for the CV shaft to work. If you search there is a lot of info out there on this topic. Good luck:wave:

Rock's the only one that gets to address this question? Booo....

Sorry to hear you're spending all your money at Rusty's place. Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones who gets good stuff then.

Tom Woods www.4xshaft.com isn't the only place to get a new driveshaft, it just happens to be one of the better ones. High-Angle (no URL) is also up there, and I seem to recall a conversation or two awhile back about driveshaft shops in Atlanta itself. If Search doesn't find those, I bet http://yp.yahoo.com will. How much are they? That depends on how much you want to spend...

hey man i appreciate it. do you know a cheaper place than rusty's. I just went there to get quotes. I got the 6" spring kit used for 300 if you know a better place please let me know

PORC will sell you a HD SYE with a SPICER shaft for 440.00 shipped

TW will sell you an AA SYE with a TW Shaft with lifetime waranty on u-joints for $525 and give you 25.00 for your stock output shaft...

that is where my price shopping got me...

i went with TW - because he has a reputation and will stand by his product... i dont know about PORC... and the AA sye is what sold me on it...

91 Jeep Project said:
Sure if you wanna spend a whole lot of money for no flex.............. :laugh3:
Ive heard the 4" springs have nice flex, but i personally have no experience with them.

on the drive shaft i would go with tom woods. when i got my lift 4.5 rusty's (and yes it is performing and holding up well) i got the SYE and shaft from them also. they had the cheapest prices on the TW SYE/shaft combo. but you get what you pay for.. if you buy a cheap shaft. thats what you get a cheap shaft. IMHO..

Does anyone here run the RE CV Driveshaft? A shop I buy most of my stuff thru says that is what he now sells. He says the Tom Woods (recently) are having vibe issues. He thinks it's because they are so popular that the quality has gone down a little.

This is NOT a slam on Tom Woods, they have an awesome reputaion.

SharkXJ said:
Does anyone here run the RE CV Driveshaft? A shop I buy most of my stuff thru says that is what he now sells. He says the Tom Woods (recently) are having vibe issues. He thinks it's because they are so popular that the quality has gone down a little.

This is NOT a slam on Tom Woods, they have an awesome reputaion.

call up TW - he has another driveshaft out there specificaly for the cherokee that has a larger diamiter and vibrates less - he described this to me over the phone...

the RE shafts have issues with grease relief valves -
PM Yuccaman and ask about his...

RE shafts are made by http://www.drive-lines.com/ and i have had no issues with my front shaft yet...

personaly - i will never buy anything from rustys...

FullSizeXJ quoted me 510 for a TW shaft and an AA SYE... dont know that it gets much cheaper than that for that combo...

XJ_ranger said:
call up TW - he has another driveshaft out there specificaly for the cherokee that has a larger diamiter and vibrates less - he described this to me over the phone...
Did he give you any info on it, like part number or especially pricing? I've been thinking about bumping the Jeep up another inch or so and getting rid of the current driveshaft at the same time.

Shark - for what it's worth, I run the RE CVF driveshaft.

Yucca-Man said:
Did he give you any info on it, like part number or especially pricing? I've been thinking about bumping the Jeep up another inch or so and getting rid of the current driveshaft at the same time.

Shark - for what it's worth, I run the RE CVF driveshaft.

well - it is a completely custom part - built for your rig - and i believe that it runs the same cost as the normal DS

i know that it is 1/2" thicker tube diamieter - but wall thickness is less - creating less mass rotating farther from the center - less vibration prone.

Give him a call - great guy to talk to and very helpful...
i think a seperate driveshaft all by its self runs 269? but not sure...

I also heard something about (but didnt ask) TW not seeling shafts to people runnin RE H+T SYE's because of problems (which i know you have)

welp - sleep time for Ranger

Out!

Yeah, there was something on here a number of months ago - apparently a buried memo on TW's website about the hack-n-tap and why he wouldn't warranty (or build) a driveshaft for it. I've been looking at the AA SYE recently; should be looking for a job first though I suppose. I'll keep the new shaft in mind, thanks.

Back