• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and came up with some good info but I want to try and learn specifically what I need to build my braking system

I have an '86 MJ. I'm running a HP-44 front/9" rear with front and rear discs.

I've read where the '96 booster is a direct bolt in (no mods at all??)...???

And what master cylinder? Do I use the one for the '96? I've read about the E-350 master cylinder BUT have also read where it only gets the full benefit with 3/4 ton or bigger brakes...I'm only running half tons.

Any and all info is appreciated.

Jason

Ive done the 96/97 brake booster swap on my 91 Cherokee. Swaped in the new booster and the master cylinder, ran new lines to the old prop. valve and ready to go. I stayed with the old porp, because i didnt want to have to worry about getting an adjustable one. It stops great!!!!! Im not sure what kind of porp. valve you'll need for those axels. What are you using now?

It's been a ground up build so the only thing left of the stock brakes is the booster/MC...both of which are no good.

I would suggest the booster, MC and proportioning valve from a ZJ with 4-wheel disc brakes. But check the size of the ZJ pistons against what you're running. If they are very different, you're on your own.

043500 said:
I've searched and came up with some good info but I want to try and learn specifically what I need to build my braking system

I have an '86 MJ. I'm running a HP-44 front/9" rear with front and rear discs.

I've read where the '96 booster is a direct bolt in (no mods at all??)...???

And what master cylinder? Do I use the one for the '96? I've read about the E-350 master cylinder BUT have also read where it only gets the full benefit with 3/4 ton or bigger brakes...I'm only running half tons.

Any and all info is appreciated.

Jason

well - my plan once i get the front axle in to complete that swap on my own rig is to use the Ford brake system...

im going to use the f-150 MC, Slave and all that...

if that system worked with thoes axles on a 1/2 ton truck - should work fine on my XJ...

(that is the plan.... we'll see what happens...)

Im running 96 ZJ disc, mc, booster, and prop valve off the ZJ and it works great. Not a direct bolt in due to having to move the brake light switch but that was on my '89. I plan on keeping the same booster and mc when I finish my front D44,d60 buildup.

Back