• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Different Dana 44s... is one better than the other?

Tim88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a new rear axle for my XJ, I have a Factory XJ dana 44 in my jeep with 3.55s and a Lockright, and am swapping in a dana 44 w/ 4.56s and a spool which was from an MJ I believe. The castings/ribs on the center sections are obviously different, I was wondering if this is b/c one is from an MJ and one an XJ. Is one more desirable than the other?
(The clean one is the MJ dana 44, and the nasty one is the one that was in my jeep and removed from an 87 XJ.)
IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0848.1.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0849.1.JPG

Let me know, Tim

PS I am trying out a new picture host. Let me know how it works.

I am anxious to hear what others have to say about this. I have 2 XJ D44's and they both came out of 87 XJ's and they have the different castings exactly like yours.

The clean one of yours has the same castings and fins as the most recent one I got from an 87 without towing package. Weird.

so does anyone have a real answer, or should by the responses give i assume they are equal in streng:laugh3: th?

I have pulled 4 D44's from 1987 Xj's at the local u-pull-it junkyard. All of them have looked like the clean one and had the 3 ribs on the drivers side.
I don't really think there is that much of a difference. Especially when you compare D35 to any D44.

Maybe the other one is a CJ D44, anybody got pics of one?

Last edited:
Tim_MN said:
I have pulled 4 D44's from 1987 Xj's at the local u-pull-it junkyard. All of them have looked like the clean one and had the 3 ribs on the drivers side.
I don't really think there is that much of a difference. Especially when you compare D35 to any D44.

Maybe the other one is a CJ D44, anybody got pics of one?

Im pretty sure the dirty one isn't from a CJ... its 5x4.5, has cast on spring perches, and stock shock mounts and all. I removed it from an 87 XJ with tow package.

This new axle was removed from an 89 XJ but was origionally factory set-up for an MJ.

is that a skid plate i see on the dirty one??? haha

Castings at Dana Corp vary from minute to minute, it seems. The ribbing makes the case a bit stiffer, but the case strength is not the limiting factor on a Dana 44. Usually ribbed cases are used in front axle applications, but they can also be added to rears for an HD application, like teh standard vs. HD Dodge rear 60's.

CRASH

General rule of thumb.

The more ribs on a casting, the stronger it is.

Due to the location of the ribs on the XJ 44, there should be less deflection of the pinion under load versus the MJ 44.

--Matt

I have one of both and like you show the both have different rib casting on the center section. The one from the XJ will be mounted under the old girl soon. (I will put the other from the MJ up for sale)

Back