• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 XJ AW4 No forward or reverse gears???

Tim88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of buying a 1990 XJ Limited with an AW4. The owner says it has no forward or reverse gears, and the tranny is just worn out. Anything that could cause this other than a complete rebuild being neccesary? Also, what splines would it have? Coming from a 1990 XJ w/ 4.0 and NP242? Let me know, Tim

also, has anyone done a 5sp conversion? I am thinking about putting an AX15 in it, I can get one locally with all the parts I think are needed. Could I keep the 242 w/ a 5sp? the 5sp comes with a 231 though and the shafts. What else would be needed? Any write-ups? A limited with a 5 speed would be a dream come true for around town.

Also, How would a 5sp w/ 3.55 gears do? And one last question, How much would a clutch cost for a rebuilt one? Any reccomendations?
-Tim

Saw this when I did a search and....

I was looking at a 89 Limited for $600. The guy said it had transmision issues. How difficult/expensive is it to do a rebuild to one?

Not very - I've been thru a couple (and Beez has been inside one or two.) If we can figure it out, so can you.

Make sure to get teh ATSG AW4 manual from the strokers group (groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers, files section) and take a picture of the valve body if/when you split the halves. There are a few different check ball locations, and the pix in the FSM and the ATSG book are wrong!

Expect a reseal kit to go for about $90, a Master kit (includes friction and such) for about $250-300, and there are a couple bridge pullers you might need that can be made from bar stock and allthread (metric, of course. It's a Toyota design!)

You probably won't need the friction kit, the clutches in the AW4 are pretty hefty. You will probably want to tear it down before you order the kit to be safe, tho...

WHen you order the kit, be sure to specify it is in a Jeep - especially if you need friction. The AW4 was also used in the Toyota Celica, Supra, Van, and Pickup.

5-90

thanks 5-90.....

That is the info I was looking for. I have not made any decisions yet but it looks good. Except for the hanging headlinner and the standing water in the passanger floor board. I want to get it but the $$$ are just not there. So I'm going to sit tight right now. A local jeeper told me about a Jeep that is about to get repossesed. So there is another posiabilty there. I'll just keep pluging away at the 94 2.5L engine swap right now.

Theres one little part on an xj that rules the tranny TPS.Learn how to test it before you buy.Mine was had this very reason too,tranny going bad among other things I was told I eventually was stuck in 1st gear before I found this forum.New TPS all good now.I would go test it before buying if bad offer $5oo,drive to parts store get a new TPS.This link will help explain what and how to test on pre 91 or non ho motor with the renix system.

http://members.tripod.com/BillyXJ/SENSORS1/index.html

Move away from the Jeep........IMO if the trannys worn out on a '90 it most likely has not been well maintained and the rest of the drivetrain / engine is probably thrashed too. I would look at something that runs.

There are AW4s all over the place...working and cheap...don't buy one that has problems, that's just kinda...howdo you say it, dumb...
I just searched for AW4s on Craig's list in my area and found 3 for between 100-200 $ some including xcase, some not...

Back