• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stroker forced induction help

CW

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I am starting my stroker build up (accurate power) this week and I need to get a few things cleared up. I have a RENIX engine but I was planning on using a HO head. Since I am going to rig up a turbo and probably NOS, I'll need a knock sensor. Is there a way to use the knock sensor with a HO head or am I stuck taking the power loss of the renix. Also, as for my turbo set up, does anyone have a suggestion on a donor vehicle for the turbo? I want to use something that spools quickly. I was going to copy the routing of the
Bear turbo system,
how close can I run the exhaust pipe to everything without causing damage? Finaly, for everyone who is running nitrus, what kind of systems are you running and what kind of HP/TQ gains have you experienced.

Before you start that turbo project, I would read Maximum Boost by Corkey Bell (yes his real name). The turbo system on that web site will have horrible lag time due to the extreme distance of the down pipe. Running a small turbo from say a four banger to make up for the lag will give a horrible pressure ratio for your motor. Basically you will superheat the air going to the motor.

If your going to take the time to do the turbo, make sure you do it right. I am a very big fan of turbos over any other artifical asperation, but if you don't do it right, YOU WILL HATE IT !!!

You must likely have had this suggested to you but for the time and money you spend on the stroker, turbo, and nitrous (which if everything was done correctly you will not need the last), you could have easily did a LT-1 or a 5.0 H.O. swap with mods have more power and would be more reliable.

Far be it from me to steer someone from a huge job. I personally love them, but I hope your in it for the long, long,....long haul.

Good luck,
Alan

I love the idea of a turbo or two, but for a trail rig, you may want to go with a supercharger for the same reason drag racers do. No lag, instantaneous power and torque. At low speeds the blower might afford you better performance than a turbo that needs significant exhaust flow (and plumbing!)to show its goods. You can get a used Eaton M90 on ebay, like I did, for about $300. The whole setup will cost you about $1200 if you do it all yourself. Good luck.

XJguy

Does anyone have any ideas on what vehicles I could find a useable super/turbocharger on. I will be at the Pull and Save this weekend pulling an engine and they list at $16.00. If I find one at all I will probably buy it for that price (I could always sell it for 20x that on e-bay.) What compressors would be ideal for a 4.7L stroker?

Superchager, best place to get them off of are the earlier T-bird Supercoupes. Eaton M90 is what you want, other model blowers are a bit more difficult to retrofit. You can also get any model centrifugal blower, those are easy to fit in anything, check with company website to see if the one you are eyeing is large enough for your 4.7.

XJguy

Shit of you find Eaton M-90s (taht are low mileage and work for for $16. PICK ME UP ONE TOO!!!

XJguy

As far as the nitrous goes if you have to run it go with a wet system. They are far more safer then a fogger. If used with a turbo they are only used to spool up and usually only a 25 shoot. If your going turbo than you need to decide what psi your going to run and what size intercooler your going to be using. There are alot of factors that go along with turbo cars that will complicate things. You cant just bolt a turbo on and make tons of power. If you new to forced induction you might look at superchargers instead. A turbo system will make alot more power and can be very efficiant if tuned properly. If you want a low boost system like 7-14 psi than shoot for 8.5 for a compression ratio. The key to a turbo system is fuel management and a cool air charge. Make sure you run a good intercooler and larger fuel pump. You might look at the turbos on the 87-92 supras. It is a CT-26 and it will spool faily quick and can be bought cheap as well as being small. It is also cheap to rebuild and can be built to push as high as 22 psi. You will need a blow off valve and a piggy back computer as well as all the pipping for the oil, coolant, and intercooler. Turbos are fun and can make serious power (around 11hp for every psi) but are very complicated and a hand full to tune. If done correctly it will be awsome but make sure you do your homework. Now you see why superchargers are so popular. Ive been building turbo cars for many years and plan on doing a system on my 00 XJ and can tell you that its alot of work but well worth it when its done.

You have a ton of research to do i think. Spend some time just studyin' turbos and how they work in more detail. And, there's nothing better about a supercharger. Different things for different applications and different ideas. In reality, a turbocharger is much more efficient and producing horsepower/torque gains in comparative situations. But, you're gonna need some fuel management and stuff, i was thinking of maybe using the s-afc on my jeep with the little turbo setup i was gonna put together.

BoostedHULK said:
You have a ton of research to do i think. Spend some time just studyin' turbos and how they work in more detail. And, there's nothing better about a supercharger. Different things for different applications and different ideas. In reality, a turbocharger is much more efficient and producing horsepower/torque gains in comparative situations. But, you're gonna need some fuel management and stuff, i was thinking of maybe using the s-afc on my jeep with the little turbo setup i was gonna put together.

Actually...

You're the one that needs to do more research if you're replying to a 3 1/2 year old dead thread...

:D

Wow that was a while back. I ended up picking up an eaton m-90 and then trading it for a set of beadlocks. My compression was a too high and since AP no longer exists replacement parts are not available anymore. Why would you dig up a three year old thread and tell me to do research? Don't you think I would have figured something out by now?:looser:

Back