• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA install... cant get axle to swing forward now

KingOfTheHill

NAXJA Forum User
well i took off the lower control arms and now i cant get the axle to swing forward so i can get the bolt holes lined up... their off around 1/2 inch on both sides.... any tricks you guys know about?

JOe

Just grab a jack and a couple pieces of wood.

Brace one end against the rear tire and one end against the front axle.

Like this from Go-Jeeps page:
Spacers019.jpg

I use a come-along, wrapped around the axle and hooked to one of the front tow points. It's the only way I'm able to do it by myself.

At this point , I can change a spring or spacer in less than a half hour per side, with the help of a rolling jack and air impact tools. Practice makes perfect.

Block the rear wheels from rolling forward. Put the the vehicle in neutral, and roll the front tire forward by hand, and attach the LCAs.

Basically the same method as the boards and jack, just less parts.

Fergie

Fergie said:
Block the rear wheels from rolling forward. Put the the vehicle in neutral, and roll the front tire forward by hand, and attach the LCAs.

Basically the same method as the boards and jack, just less parts.

Fergie

just to clarify - neutral at the transmission - not at the transfer case... neutral at the t-case locks the driveshafts together...

dothedew24_7 said:
Just grab a jack and a couple pieces of wood.

Brace one end against the rear tire and one end against the front axle.

Like this from Go-Jeeps page:
Spacers019.jpg

Is that a OEM cherokee jack put to good use?... lol i could hardly get mine to work to change a flat.. so i ditched it. GOD BLESS THE HI LIFT

do it my way:

pull other jeep up in front of XJ.

Attach chain and winch cable around front diff.

Winch axle where ya want it- holding the control in one hand as you kneel beside the LCA bolt hole with bolt in hand....

I just did it a few days ago (again) and vouch for the comealong method. I use an old aircraft tiedown and loop it around the back of the axle and then around the bumper. It doesn't take much tightening to pull the axle forward enough to slide the LCA bolt in.

MAN! some creative people here!

i saw the boards so i did that and it worked great... thanks for the tip...

really helped.

JOe

a little late but i put a bottle jack on the spring pad and the frame just above the LCA attach point and BAM! i goter done!
Troy

Back