• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ditching the carpet...coating suggestions?

hemiriffic

NAXJA Forum User
I m going to pull my carpet and repair a few small rust holes ... all in the cargo area...anyways any suggestions on what I should coat it all with?I was thinking some sort of brush/spray on bedliner or something like that?

hemiriffic said:
I m going to pull my carpet and repair a few small rust holes ... all in the cargo area...anyways any suggestions on what I should coat it all with?I was thinking some sort of brush/spray on bedliner or something like that?
Herculiner won't do much to deaden the noise or deal with heat coming through. Search the forums (and shops) about paint that has ceramic particles in it: depending what you get you can get one that has pretty good insulation capabilities.

One thing I would suggest is to put a heat shield of some type over the cat/muffler, otherwise that part of the floorboard will be getting VERY hot.

i used duplicolor on my floorboards and hate it. If you are going to do it, use herculiner or some other good quality brand of bed coating, throw some rubber mat down to deaden heat/noise, and be done with it. Search under my name, I did a write up on it a while back.

Last edited:
nitrogt101 said:
One thing I would suggest is to put a heat shield of some type over the cat/muffler, otherwise that part of the floorboard will be getting VERY hot.

yeah - my tranny tunnel heated up to the point where you touch it and go "oo - hot" not painful, just letting you know its there - that was when i was driving like this:
4kbs5u

C85D4x4 said:
I wish my inside looked like that

Wheres the rust

rust?

on a CA/Hawaii car? there is some now that it has lived a year in the midwest... from 92 till 2004 - no rust - 1 year in the midwest = sad times....

I used RAAMmat (Dynamat extreme knockoff) all in the back and threw away my rear carpet since it smelled like a dead hooker. I was thinking of Herculining the rear cargo area, but does anyone know if it will stick to the aluminum-backed sound deadener?

SonomaXJ said:
I used RAAMmat (Dynamat extreme knockoff) all in the back and threw away my rear carpet since it smelled like a dead hooker. I was thinking of Herculining the rear cargo area, but does anyone know if it will stick to the aluminum-backed sound deadener?
As long as you can rought up the surface a bit it will stick to it really nice.

Yeah, I've done this and used Herculiner-- btw having to doors off and Baja Claws that are wearing out the increased noise really isn't that much of an issue. I've really enjoued having it and frequently hoes the interior out. Here are a few pics if your interested--

Before--
650358_88_full.jpg

After--
650358_80_full.jpg

more pics here--
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/650358/7

Last edited:
Its just not fare how some of you guys have so much floor

........o whats that i hear.........could it be........yes it is........the worlds smallest violin is playing just for me..........

C85D4x4 said:
Its just not fare how some of you guys have so much floor

........o whats that i hear.........could it be........yes it is........the worlds smallest violin is playing just for me..........
???

my xj had just as much as yours off the factory floor...

XJ_ranger said:
???

my xj had just as much as yours off the factory floor...

LOL.............RUST again!

Alot of my floor is missing b/c of the rust eating it away....

Dont hate me for saying this but, some of you guys have it easy

Rust is a constant battle,
ones you fix 1 hole there is another 1 you will find,
after you done with that one,
the other one you just fixed becomes a hole again!

That is why people refer to it as Cancer for a car

Back