• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-joint tool...

How much Greg?

Brian T.

I agree with using the HF U joint/Ball joint tool... $30 is hard to beat - though that tool looks more effecient...

Will.

xjwillyb said:
I agree with using the HF U joint/Ball joint tool... $30 is hard to beat - though that tool looks more effecient...

Will.

Keep your eyes out for it to go on sale too... I recently picked up the HF u joint tool for $19.99 :D Just keep checking their website.

I was mildly impressed by it's overall beefy-ness... sucker is heavy...

And Lou... Yes, you can install and remove with it....

Ivan

Lou said:
And you can install, instead of just remove(?).
You can do both. I just did driveshaft ujoints for someone few days ago and a while ago I've used it to do my axleshaft ujoints. You can also use it to replace the balljoints on your jeep, but you gotta be creative as the sleeves are wrong size.

Sorry, Ivan and Kej.

That question mark probably should have probably been an exclamation mark -- but I feared using it. !!!1

What I meant to say was that it doesn't look like you can install with the other tool.

Once I leared how to do it right with my bench vise U-Joints are a no bainer :)

When I grow up and start breaking U-Joints I'm gonna build a receiver vise like Terry. Then all the girls will like me.

Re: u-joint tool...UPDATE

I talked to the manufacturer, and he would be willing to do a group buy...

retail is $289.

He will do $200 + 14 shipping.

Anyone interested? Post here or PM me...

g

gregclimbs said:
I talked to the manufacturer, and he would be willing to do a group buy...

retail is $289.

He will do $200 + 14 shipping.

Anyone interested? Post here or PM me...

g
they want how much ??? For that??????? Damn, for $200 I could bring enough beer with me on the trail that I would not only would not have to carry a tool, but someone would also change both the axles and ujoints for me.

Btw, the ball joint press is on sale for $19 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38335 :D

My preferred u-joint removal tools.....

56.jpg

impact_socket.jpg

49922.jpg

Oh, and the receiver vice, of course.....

Kejtar said:
sure :D Weren't you the one that had the ball joint tool up in Moab? :D
That thing takes to long.
I had it in Moab because it was a new tool.
Now it sits in the bottom of the toolbox at work.

Use what works best for YOU.

OUCH! Didn't figure that sucker would be that expensive. I'm sure it works fine for most u-joints in decent shape. Forget about using it on a rust seized joint though. We were trying to remove some old D60 joints, soaked em in PB Blaster for awhile, bench vice, BFH, heat...worked on one joint for over an hour and it was simply not coming out. Finally got them out with the use of my new Harbor Freight u-joint tool, ok so it's not the one they sell though. Had one of those pipe benders collecting dust, finally made it into something useful.
pos.jpg

Works slick.

rstarch345 said:
I seriously hope you DO NOT really take beer on the trail???????????????
Fuggin boyscouts.......
Beer is okay on the trail as long as it's not a NAXJA sanctioned event.
Oh, and as long as you aren't drunk.

Back