• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator not charging after a good day of offroading...

Supertrapped

NAXJA Forum User
Is that a common problem?

I had a lot of fun over the weekend. Got about headlight deep in some mud and water and sand and stuff.

Well...after leaving, I noticed my volt meter is sittin at 9 and my check guages light is on. I'm leaning towards alternator. I hose it out with fresh water and the meter comes back up to 14.

Now, it will only charge at idle around 12-13. And after driving for a mile, it will go back down to 9. I checked the connection. Its fine.

Suggestions?

Miah

I would say alternator. Take it off and bring it in and have it tested to be sure. Alternators don't like mud and sand very much.

Just go to the carwash and stick the wand in there. Then start the truck and stick the wand back in for a bit. If you leave it alone and keep driving you will wreck it for sure.

With the engine running, and safty glasses on, smack the back a few times firmly with a hammer. the mud will dislodge and come flying out of the case.

Rev

I´ve opened mine up before after a mud bath and the split alternator looked like two salad bowls full of mud (I´ve really packed it in there). A good power wash with a little soap, repeated a few times and the alternator worked just fine. The brushes and slip ring have to be fairly clean for the alternator to work right.
I´ve had them die after taking a coolant bath though, seems alternators and anti freeze aren´t compatable. All of my alternator failures have followed a radiator or hose failure, that covered them in anti freeze.
Cleaning out the starter also isn´t a bad diea.

alt is fried.....regulator in alt dosnt like sand, mud, debris......if you took your rubber splash gaurd under engine, put it back. That will help a little.

Brian

Back